1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Jim Henson's Parents

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by SwedishTech, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SwedishTech

SwedishTech Member

Hi there! New guy here, but definately not new to the Muppets and all that Henson has done!

I've been doing a lot of detective work lately. I live 12 minutes from the town of Ahoskie, N.C., where Jim's father and stepmother lived (And where he would visit often). It's a very small town, lucky it even has a Wal-Mart.

I was wondering if anybody on here knew any information on his parents, if they are still alive, any help at all. I'm still searching locally, and will post any updates as I find them.
  2. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I pretty much only know a few common things, like from the Jim Henson: The Works book, but I might as well post them here anyway:

Jim's father, Paul Henson was an agricultural research biologist for the US Department of Agriculture. Around 1946, he got a new job around Hyattsville, MD, near Washington, D.C. Jim's mother, Betty Henson, stayed at home with Jim and his brother Paul Jr.

That's pretty much all I know (you probably already knew that stuff anyway), but I'll check around a bit and see what I can find out.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
  3. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Well I know what this is going and they unknown things about it.
    But I think Betty Henson died sometime during Jim Henson's life and then his father married again years later.
    Plus Mr Paul Henson might had died not so long after Jim died!
  4. SwedishTech

SwedishTech Member

I think he may have passed away, I found out somewhere that if he was alive, he'd be 107. Not impossible, but it's probably wishful thinking on my part. Haha.

Maybe he has a widow? I also found out today actually that Jim's cousin was a Dr. in MY area, who also moved to Ahoskie, and he spent a lot of time with Jim as well.

Thanks for the welcome btw! :)
  5. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Wow that's cool!
  6. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Hmm..even Muppet Wiki doesn't have anything on his parents. Which kinda makes sense, but I thought they might have something.

I remember there being a small chapter about his early life in Jim Henson: The Works, which I have upstairs in my house. Will go do some research...
    *gets detective coat on*
  8. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I think bobhopesite basically found the most information we'll ever find on them.

I do have to say, though for any parent, it has to be horrible to outlive both your sons... :sympathy:
  9. SwedishTech

SwedishTech Member

Glad everyone has their detective coats on now! Lol. Thanks for all the info, that's way more than I have ever been able to get, and I even paid a site to find something. Haha.
  10. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

It's very interesting that most of Jim Henson's life is shrouded in mystery. The only biographies currently available don't really cover his early life, skim over his college career, and then jump into his work in advertising and beyond. In fact, for all we know about his personality, there's still so much that hasn't been discussed. I hope Brian Jay Jones' Henson biography sheds some light on these subjects so that we might better understand him.
  11. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

I did some extra research and that person could have been wrong about Jim Henson's mother. See that was a family tree someone made one rootsweb.com (I don't know who?) and they could have had the wrong facts. So this is a MYSTERY.

They have Jim Henson's mother but with no death date here:
    http://www.geni.com/people/Betty-Henson/6000000014715385524

Here is a Betty Henson that died in 2004 at around age 95 (13 after Jim Henson):
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V35Y-36J
    http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/betty-henson/84337676
  12. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member