Jim Is...Tribute Song

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
Hey guys!
In the buy/sell section I posted a note saying I was looking for a video of an awards ceremony that payed tribute to Jim Henson, that took place before Jim passed away. In fact, all of Jim's characters in the tribute to Jim were voiced and performed BY JIM!
I have the audio from it, as I recorded it as a child. Phillip is working on transferrring that audio into a form where we all can hear it on Muppet Central Radio.
Until then, I have typed the lyrics to the tribute out. I hope you enjoy it!

Kermit: (singing) The friends of Mr. Henson have gathered here tonight, to present our little tribute to Jim. We’ve been conferring and rehearsing, making sure we get it right, so the number will be worthy of him. For the last few months we haven’t been together – because we all seem to work in different places - so I’m a little apprehensive as to whether we’ll all end up with eggs on our faces! They’ve each sent a video to give us a clue as to just exactly what they were planning to do…

Kermit: (spoken)Now the first video cassette came from “The Muppet Show” gang in London. Roll the video cassette, boys!

(singing)
Fozzie: Jim is so wise and witty ‘cuz he likes my jokes!
All: WRONG!
Floyd: Jim is the hippest dude that I know
All: NO!
Scooter: Jim lives more dangerously than most other folks
All: OH?
Gonzo: He was my com-panion, skiing down the grand can-yon
Fozzie: (spoken) You know, Jim doesn’t know the meaning of the word ”fear”. He doesn’t know the meaning of the word “smart” either!
All: (laughing)
Janice: Jim is what every valley girl dreams of, fer sure!
All: FER SURE!
Sam the Eagle: Jim stands for everything that is wholesome and pure
All: PURE!
Rowlf: Jim is the kind of guy who can sing in my key
All: YEAH! Jim is whatever you want him to be!
Fozzie: (spoken) That’s it from London, Kermit
Gonzo: (spoken) Yeah. Bye!

Kermit: (spoken) Okay, now let’s see who’s next. David Lazer, our executive producer, and Michael Frith, our head designer, have an update, or rather a Mupp-date from the workshop in New York. Roll the next video!

Workshop personnel: (singing)
Jim is our favorite model with his bearded face
Jim is a fairly adequate boss (boss boss boss)
Jim is the kind of guy who’s at home out in space
Alien muppet : This is just be-tween us but he’s planning Muppets on Ve-nus.

Kermit: (spoken) Ah….okay. Well, as you can see, everything is normal. Probably the same in Toronto at “Fraggle Rock”. Next cassette!

(singing)
Gobo: Jim is a super guy from his nose to his tail
Traveling Matt: No tail!
Mokey: Jim is a super (unintelligible) from poopdeck to sail
Traveling Matt: No sail!
Wembley: Gym is a place you exercise athleticly
All: Jim is whatever you want him to be!
Boober: (spoken) Uh, just one question…What IS a “Jim Henson”?

Kermit: (spoken) I wonder how things are coming along on “Sesame Street”? Let’s see “Sesame Street”!

(singing)
Ernie: “J” is for the first letter in his name
Bert: Jim starts with a letter “J” – A capital!
Grover: “I” is the middle letter
Big Bird: That’s not right – grammatically.
Grover: “I” am the middle letter?
Big Bird: That doesn’t sound much better!
Grover: Oh. I see.
Herry: “M” is the letter at the end.
The Count: “M” as in mother, a boy’s best friend!
All: Make the letters line up, then we’ll put the sign up…J-I-M, J-I-M, J-I-M JIM!
Oscar: (spoken) Huh! Jim Henson? He always treated me like….trash!

Kermit: (spoken) And….I think that looks like it takes care of just about everybody.
Piggy: Everybody?
Kermit: Oh.
Piggy: Oh? Ha! What about moi? Am I chopped liver pate?
Kermit: Listen, I-I-uh I’m sorry Miss Piggy, it must have been an oversight by an underling.
Piggy: To err is human, to snub is DEATH!
Kermit: Well, I tell you what…Let me call Bernie. I’m sure our manager can straighten this whole thing out.
Piggy: Bernie? You mean Mr. Brillstein? Well he is probably very busy consummating a big deal at this very moment.
Kermit: Consummate, as in soup?
Piggy: Well, somethin’ better be cookin’ that’s all I gotta say…

Secretary: Uh, Bernie, there’s a frog on the phone.
Bernie Brillstein: (into the phone) Which frog? Oh! Kermit the frog. Hey Kermit! How ya doin’ my man? So glad you’re calling! Never too busy to talk to you. What an event, huh? Coming out of the woodwork for Jim. Just an expression, Kermit! Oh! Kermit…one other thing. Is Miss Piggy near you? Just between us, she lost the lead in “Fatal Attraction,” but don’t mention it until after the tribute. Thanks Kermit, I’ll talk to you soon. Take care.

Piggy: Wh-wh-what did he say?
Kermit: Uhhhhhhhhh…he said wrap it up and get to the finale. Hit it guys!

The number ends by having all four groups singing their songs over each other in rounds, until they all end in “Jim is whatever you want him to be!”
:smile: :smile: :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hey, that's really cool! I never heard of that before, so thanks for sharing!

SarahFraggle

Reaction score
:confused: What was it for anyway if it was before his death? I really can't picture Jim doing something about him like that. He was much too modest. But I could be wrong. :embarrassed: It sounds interesting I'd really like to hear it! :excited:

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
I've been trying to date the awards show it came from by some of the other things that are also on the audio cassette, and as best as I can figure out, I think it was when Jim was inducted into the Televison Academy Hall of Fame, which would put it in November 1987.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The hall of fame induction is my guess as well. It would make sense that the Muppets would perform a tribute then for such an honor. Maybe someone else can give us an official confirmation though.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Thats awesomely good.

Thats a great find as well, Im interested in seeing where you got that.

BTW, isnt Kermit on the hall of fame?

zeldazipple

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this either. :confused: And I thought I had ALL the songs Jim Hanson ever did. It would be awsoms to have this for my collection. :excited: This is only my opinion, but I'll have to agree it dosen't sound like something Jim would do, but who knows, anything's possible. :wink:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Jim Is" will begin playing on Muppet Central Radio in the near future.