1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Jim performing Ernie question

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Muppet Frog, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

Was Jim ever comfortable performing the Ernie puppet or doing his voice?:p
  2. sesameguy

sesameguy Member

Well, he seemed to be comfortable at first, because before Sesame St. began taping, he and Frank had tried performing the opposite characters before realizing that Jim was happiest performing Ernie & Frank performing Bert. He continued performing Ernie up to the very end, even when Frank wasn't available to perform Bert, so I would assume he enjoyed performing Ernie to a high degree.
  3. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Is there any reason to think he WASN'T comfortable performing Ernie? :confused:
  4. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

To make sure if Jim was comfortable performing a live hand puppet often.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think I brought up a similar discussion about that years ago... Ernie, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, etc... what do they all have in common?
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Pressure by their managers do have a nose job?
    Borples likes this.
  7. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

They all require an Assist? (Except for the rare occasions when, say, Dr. Teeth was changed to a rod puppet.)

Alex
  8. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Well I do have one question to ask you all!

Why did Jim Henson used his Rowlf the dog voice for Ernie in the first sesame street show test?
  9. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I think he used that voice for Ernie maybe because he was trying to find the right voice for him, something that truly fits the personality of a character. I think that's true for the other performers, too. Once they have a new character, they experiment with the voice and see what works and then give that character a individual personality.
  10. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

I think you're right!
  11. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

His voice wasn't that much different from Kermit's so I assume he was never uncomftorable.