Jim Thurman (1935-2007)

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
from Cartoon Brew's Jerry Beck:

We must sadly note the passing of Jim Thurman, an Emmy-award winning children’s television writer, who died April 14 at age 72.

I had the pleasure to meet Jim several times in New York about 12 years ago. He was a great big funny guy with a deep “radio announcer” voice. He was working for Children’s Television Workshop at the time, but I was more interested in asking him about his work as co-writer of every episode of Roger Ramjet. With Gene Moss he also wrote and provided voices for Ramjet and Shrimpenstein, a fondly remembered local children’s show in Los Angeles during the late 1960s.

Thurman and Moss originally teamed to form a boutique ad agency, Creative Advertising Stuff and they eventually wrote material for Bob Hope, Dean Martin, Carol Burnett, Bill Cosby and Bob Newhart. After Ramjet, Thurman wrote for Sesame Street, The Electric Company, and 321 Contact. He also performed voices such as Sesame Street’s Teeny Little Super Guy.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/jim-thurman-1935-2007

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Jim_Thurman

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
May you rest in peace Jim Thurman. I never knew much about you, but I know you did voices for the Teeny Little Super guy Series that I saw a lot of as a child during the 80's. You were indeed a super guy yourself. :sympathy:

SillyRed

Reaction score
Whoever wrote that must not know CTW is now Sesame Workshop.

salemfan

Reaction score
I've never heard of Jim Thurman until I read this thread.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How sad. And I didn't even know anything about Jim Thurman (especially not his name) until a few months ago when Old School Vol. 1 was released. I knew his characters, but not his name. If more Old School releases are made, I guess Bob won't be introducing them anymore (unless introductiosn for volume 2 have already been recorded).