Jim

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Did Jim Henson know he was going to die? This was taken from a story on Jim in LIFE magazine in 1990, this part focuses on his death/funeral:

Henson had planned part of the service himself four years earlier. He had asked that no one wear black and suggested that he would appreciate it if there was a Dixieland band present to pay "When the Saints Go Marching In"; both requests were duly honored. He had also written letters to his children to be opened after his death, and Brian Henson read parts of them that day in the cathedral. Henson's advice from the beyond sounded as casual as if he had just then scribbled in on a napkin - "Please watch out for each other and love and forgive everybody. It's a good life, enjoy it" - but this unassuming message rang out in that cathedral full of true believers like a mighty testament.

Why had he taken such pains, when he was not, yet ever 50, to orchestrate his own departure? Henson's friends are divided about whether he had a "premonition," but he did have a growing, brooding interest in mortality. His work shows it, particularly the dark and masterful European folk tales that make up "The Storyteller," a short-lived TV series that was revered by critics but never made a ratings impact. And then there was "Labyrinth," an ambiguous tale about a stolen child starring the patently unwholesome David Bowie.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Did Jim Henson know he was going to die? This was taken from a story on Jim in LIFE magazine in 1990, this part focuses on his death/funeral:

Henson had planned part of the service himself four years earlier. He had asked that no one wear black and suggested that he would appreciate it if there was a Dixieland band present to pay "When the Saints Go Marching In"; both requests were duly honored. He had also written letters to his children to be opened after his death, and Brian Henson read parts of them that day in the cathedral. Henson's advice from the beyond sounded as casual as if he had just then scribbled in on a napkin - "Please watch out for each other and love and forgive everybody. It's a good life, enjoy it" - but this unassuming message rang out in that cathedral full of true believers like a mighty testament.

Why had he taken such pains, when he was not, yet ever 50, to orchestrate his own departure? Henson's friends are divided about whether he had a "premonition," but he did have a growing, brooding interest in mortality. His work shows it, particularly the dark and masterful European folk tales that make up "The Storyteller," a short-lived TV series that was revered by critics but never made a ratings impact. And then there was "Labyrinth," an ambiguous tale about a stolen child starring the patently unwholesome David Bowie.
You know, the media loves to look for "hidden meanings", etc. in why people do stuff. I don't think, unless you have some ongoing, life threatening disease like cancer or AIDS do you really know you're going to die! And also, it's not unusual that he had certain wishes for his funeral.

I've had several discussions with my parents about what they want done when they pass on. Now I know why I don't read crap like PEOPLE magazine anymore..

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I guess it is unusual for people to plan their memorial/funeral in such a detailed manner. But there are people who do, and perhaps it's a good idea. ::shrugs::

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Labyrinth Legend

The "legend" (note I said legend, not necessarily fact) of Jim Henson's will as I understand it has its roots in 1986. Jim was reportedly depressed and dismayed by the poor box office receipts of Labyrinth. He is rumored to have flown to Paris and written out his will. He also wasn't keen on growing old. He didn't see himself as an old person. To his credit, not many people do. :sympathy:

I guess he felt out of touch with film audiences. He'd had so many successes that he couldn't wrap him mind around what happened with Labyrinth. I could tell you why it didn't do well, but that's another thread. :wink:

I don't believe that he had any knowledge of his passing. In fact, there were so many projects to be excited about before he died. Weeks before Jim Henson passed away in the spring of 1990 he gave
this interview to Animation Magazine. I discovered it a few years ago in a stack of articles and helped transcribe it for Muppet Central. You should find it interesting reading. It has his thoughts about life, the Muppets, the Disney merger and more. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I guess he felt out of touch with film audiences. He'd had so many successes that he couldn't wrap him mind around what happened with Labyrinth. I could tell you why it didn't do well, but that's another thread. :wink:
I for one never understood why Labyrinth didn't do well. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Briefly why I believe Labyrinth fizzled.

Timing is everything in a film release and fantasy films were a theatrical hard sell back then. It was very much a gamble more than other genres - that has changed in recent times. It was also a summer release. June 27, 1986. There's much competition in the summer.

In the film itself, there was very little sense of real jeopardy. I know Toby was kidnapped, but Jareth didn’t appear to be menacing enough and Sarah never seemed to be in much trouble that she couldn't get out of. It really needed more of a scary side to it. The best fables and fairy tales tend to be the creepiest. Jim went a lighter way that didn't pan out. :sympathy:

Plus, the mid-late 80s were turning away from Bowie's glam-pop style exhibited in the film. I love his performance, but it was too androgynous for the audience palette at the time. He was cast due to a status he unfortunately no longer held in pop culture (even if he always does with me). The rest of the film was stellar. Okay, the CG chair shot always bugged me, but the rest... :stick_out_tongue:

So - timing, competition, a perceived lack of jeopardy, miscalculation of popular style and just plain bad luck. :smirk:

I must admit that I love the film. Not as much as Dark Crystal, but a lot.

Luke

Reaction score
Did Jim Henson know he was going to die?
I'm not saying he knew years ahead, but there are a fair few indications he knew something major was up maybe a month or two before, and it wasn't the complete surprise as is made out - although it may well have been to the family. Very shortly before he died he was even setting up meetings with people he hadn't got along with to settle things and make peace. A lot of people who were close to him think he was aware of it.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Okay, the CG chair shot always bugged me, but the rest... :stick_out_tongue:

So - timing, competition, a perceived lack of jeopardy, miscalculation of popular style and just plain bad luck. :smirk:

I must admit that I love the film. Not as much as Dark Crystal, but a lot.
What CG chair? Am I missing something?:confused:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What CG chair? Am I missing something?:confused:
The chair Sarah throws to smash the bubble in the dream sequence. It's an early computer effect. The chair has very little shading and texture as it would these days and the motion is very fluid. It was state of the art at the time. It's just a shot that always stuck out to me. :eek:

On the Jim note again - I still have a hard time believing he knew. I just think he was feeling old, forging a merger and wills are what older responsible people do - especially ones with so many kids (no matter how old they are). There was just so much going on in his life to be happy about. :smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
The chair Sarah throws to smash the bubble in the dream sequence. It's an early computer effect. The chair has very little shading and texture as it would these days and the motion is very fluid. It was state of the art at the time. It's just a shot that always stuck out to me. :eek:

On the Jim note again - I still have a hard time believing he knew. I just think he was feeling old, forging a merger and wills are what older responsible people do - especially ones with so many kids (no matter how old they are). There was just so much going on in his life to be happy about. :smile:
OH that chair. I gotcha. :smile: I'm out of it today, forgive me. I don't think Jim could've forseen his death and/or having something so serious as he did. The only thing that gives a clue to his possible bad health prior to that was the CNN special that they did on Jim and Jane Henson is quoted as saying they're all slow in the family to go to doctors.

And Jim was Christian Science and supposedly with his upbringing he was raised not relying on regular medications, etc. like so many of us depend on today.