Joe Raposo

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i know this was discussed at YL and Mr. Raposo left SS after 5 years and returned sometime in the 80s. while he did do other things i understand the main reason for his departing (and might of been the only 1) was that he had some fallout with CTW. anyone know what the problem was?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Thought I revive this and ask another question.

How Come did he sing on many of the songs he wrote for the film segments?

Not that it's any big deal he had a good singing voice but I was suprised to learn from visiting the old YL site that it was him doing so much of it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't know , but he had such an amazing voice and an amazing gift of song writing. He never wrote songs that talked down to kids. Bill Cosby has been quoted as saying that he is a gift to Sesame Street. I couldn't agree with his words more.

Andy

Reaction score
I think Joe was feeling like he had been pigeon-holed into only writing music for children's television. He wanted people to know that he could do more than that, specifically write for the theater. Unfortunately for Joe, his two main theatrical projects: RAGGEDY ANN and A WONDERFUL LIFE were not successful on Broadway, although LIFE does get regular regional performances.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess he night have been going through sort of the same thing Jim was.

ploobis

Reaction score
My favorite Joe Raposo songs have to be "A Little Bit At The Beginning" and "Brushin' Blues".

zns

Reaction score
Last night, I was watching my tape of the PBS documentary "Sing: Sesame Street Remembers Joe Raposo and his Music" and it made me feel great knowing what a gentle genius Joe is. As far as I am concerned I have three people that I admire the most: Jim Henson, Walt Disney, and Joe Raposo. God bless them all. :smile:

zns

Reaction score
I would also like to find the tribute CD that was made in honor of him from 1992.

Andy

Reaction score
A genius indeed, and even to this day, the residents of Fall River Massachusetts still consider Joe a favorite son.