just played my first gig!

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Well, I guess it wasn't really my first gig, but it's my first solo gig since my band quit. Anyway, I played a small bar here in Orlando and it went over really well. I'm sure no one cares, but it was lots of fun and I just thought I'd let everyone know. Okay, goodnight!

-Chris

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by gymkatarules
Well, I guess it wasn't really my first gig, but it's my first solo gig since my band quit. Anyway, I played a small bar here in Orlando and it went over really well. I'm sure no one cares, but it was lots of fun and I just thought I'd let everyone know. Okay, goodnight!

-Chris
I care! Congratulations!!! Next time you should post ahead of time, some MC peoples in that area might come down to see ya! :smile:

grail

Reaction score
what kind of stuff do you play?

radionate

Reaction score
Congrats, and I too wonder what you play. What was your set list?

Jackie

Reaction score
Yeah what kind of music, and why did your band quit on you?

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Oh, boy. Didn't know everyone would be so curious!

Anyhow, I didn't post about it sooner cause it was a pretty last minute gig. A band I'm friends with was playing downtown and they were the only band on the bill and didn't feel like playing all night, so they asked me and another musician friend of mine to come down and play a set.

So, I did. I played three originals and two covers. Kept it short. I have lots and lots more original stuff, but I love doing fun covers. So, I played that Whitetown song, "Your Woman." Anyone remember that? The show was just me and my electric guitar (clean, no distortion!) cause I really don't like how acoustic/electrics sound.

My old band was called Struggleburger (here: http://www.struggleburger.com) and we broke up because we recorded eleven albums together and figured that was enough.

Struggleburger was an instrumental experimental improvisational grunge band. My solo stuff is more like John Vanderslice, Neutral Milk Hotel, maybe Coldplay, maybe Radiohead, maybe Bowie, maybe Red House Painters sort of stuff. At my upcoming shows, expect some Muppet covers (perhaps If I Were or perhaps Something's Missing).

Does that answer all questions? Cool! Any info on me or upcoming shows can be found at http://gymkata.org

And there you are.

-Chris

Jackie

Reaction score
I read through both sites! That's really cool stuff! How popular was your old band? I love those CD covers! Manetee basher had me cracking up! LOL!

gymkatarules

Reaction score
The old band was, and still is, rather obscure. We released our stuff only as mp3s on our site, so they're out there. But, we only played a handful of shows around here cause we figured everything we recorded was live, so what's the point? However, I have received emails from all over North America and even into The Netherlands, Belgium, Malaysia, Japan, etc. etc. telling us how much they love us. There's a guy in Denmark who says on his site that we're his favorite band ever. Go figure.

So, we are slightly known by those who enjoy knowing about bands that no one else does, which is cool.

-Chris