Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

Leyla

Reaction score
Hi Ru! Thanks for that review honey! Don't think I was waiting for it to reply to your update... I've been rather distracted of late by MSN. It's too late for me to do a proper review... but tomorrow is another day and I'll get it done!!

Loves jacket, loves Pepe, loves Robin, loves you!

Leyla

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 23: Strange meetings

Kermit could have slept late—probably should have slept late, but he woke up at the crack of 8:30, wishing someone would turn down the noise. It took him a minute and a stiff cup of coffee to realize that there was no noise—at least, no noise outside his head. With the show opening tonight, he’d been awakened by the buzzing of his own thoughts, and no amount of volume control would work until he’d dealt with all the details that were beating a furious tattoo in his brain. Dressed, caffeinated and sheepish, he trailed back into the bedroom to watch Piggy sleep, leaning in the doorway with both hands wrapped around his coffee cup. As if sensing his presence, Piggy let out a soft sigh, stretched luxuriously and opened her sleepy blue eyes. Now fully recharged by the caffeine, Kermit considered shedding his clothes and making a bounding leap back into bed, but before he could act, Piggy looked up suddenly and fixed him with a knowing gaze.
“That smells divine,” she said longingly. “Got any more?”
Kermit walked over and handed her the second half of his second cup. Piggy accepted it and a lingering kiss before slipping out of bed and toeing into her high-heeled scuffs.
“Lots to do,” she said, gulping the steaming brew. “Give me a second to throw on some clothes and I’ll come down with you.”
Years of long experience had taught Kermit that Piggy “throwing on some clothes” could take an indefinite period of time. He went in and gently awakened Robin, who had no need of caffeine to be ready for the day. Kermit poured him some Frosted Flies and a glass of orange juice and brought it into the living room area along with another cup of coffee for himself.
“I love these!” Robin said around an enormous mouthful of, um, cereal. “Mom won’t buy them for me. She says they have too much sugar.”
Inwardly, Kermit sighed. Apparently, there was more to parenting that stopping them from running into the street. Ah well, he thought resignedly, what his parents don’t know won’t kill me.
To his astonishment, Piggy appeared in less than a quarter of an hour, impeccably coiffed, dressed and shod. Her makeup was understated, but tasteful, and her lipstick was translucent enough to keep the bell-boys from stampeding.
“You look nice,” he said, but his eyes were puzzled. She did look nice, but it was not her usual look. Her hair was restrained, and the violet linen jacket worn buttoned up over a crisp white skirt looked business-classy, as did the purple and white spectator pumps.
Piggy put a satin-gloved hand on one well-rounded hip. “Did you forget about brunch?”
“Um…brunch?” Kermit repeated, flipping rapidly through the rolodex in his brain. It came—slowly, but it came. “Oh—gah! What time is that?”
“We’ve got about a half-hour to get Robin settled and get there.” She came over and straightened his tie. “Don’t worry—you look very nice.”
“Um, thanks,” Kermit said, reaching to answer the blip of his cell phone. It was Scooter.
“Hey, Boss,” Scooter said brightly. “Don’t forget brunch in thirty, okay?”
“I’m on top of it,” Kermit said, wishing he was.
“I’m backstage checking on some things for tonight. Bring Robin by anytime. If you need me, or if anybody else needs you, you can reach me on my phone.”
“Scooter, could you make sure the final coat of paint on the—“
“Checked it this morning. It’s dry—looks good.”
“Great. What about the stuffing for the—“
“Stuffed and stitched.”
“Did they get the short out of the—“
“Honeydew’s helping Dr. Teeth with it now.”
“What about the cable for the—“
“Pepe ran the rest of it yesterday.”
“Fozzie was wondering if someone could—“
“Already done. I saw to it myself this morning.”
There was a long silence, in which Kermit could hear Scooter grinning like a Cheshire cat.
“Want to go to this meeting for me?”
“Can’t help you there,” Scooter said, laughing. “Don’t worry about it—Piggy will be there if you have any trouble.”
“Sure,” Kermit said crankily. He sighed. “If I think of anything else—“
“Just call me. I’ll take care of it. Now go on—you’re going to be late.”
“Thanks, Scooter.”
“Sure thing, Boss. Break a leg, okay?”
If only, Kermit thought wistfully. He closed the little phone and put it away, then reached for Robin’s hand. Piggy took the young frog’s other hand and they went out to face the day.

“Um, Rowlf?”
“Huh? Oh, hey Fozzie. Nice job at dress rehearsal last night.”
Fozzie looked ecstatic, then mortified. “Um, do you really think so?”
“Yeah. I mean, I know you didn’t do your whole act, and it just not the same without an audience but I thought you did a good job.” There wasn’t a muppet anywhere who didn’t know about Fozzie’s usual backstage jitters, and Rowlf’s generous heart was prompting him to reassure the furry funnyman. If anything, Rowlf’s comments caused Fozzie to look even more anxious. He swallowed nervously and looked carefully over his shoulder.
“Something bothering you, Fozzie?”
Fozzie took his hat off, worried it with his hands, put it back on, snatched it off again and twisted it between his fingers.
“Um, did I seem, um, different to you when I was doing my routine?”
“Nooo, not so’s I could say.”
“Do I, um, look different?” Fozzie held out one hand for inspection and touched his cheek self-consciously.
“Nope,” Rowlf said. “How come?”
“Um….” Fozzie looked nervously around. “No reason,” he said with a sigh. “I’m just wondering if I did the right thing.”
“About what?”
Instead of answering, Fozzie looked away absently. “Ma always said that you should play fair,” he said faintly.
“Beg pardon?” Now Rowlf was thoroughly confused.
“Oh, nothing,” Fozzie said with a great sigh, put his hat on his head and wandered back toward the dressing rooms forlornly.

“Thanks Miss Mabel,” Robin said politely, sitting down happily to a stack of buttermilk pancakes. “This looks yummy.”
“Glad to hear it, squirt,” she said fondly, taking the plastic wrap off a tray of strudel and setting them out of the table. “You having a good time with your Uncle?”
“Uh huh!” he said, digging in enthusiastically. “Uncle Kermit says I might even get to run the sound board for the show some night.”
“Wow! And I hear you’re singing a coupla songs in the show. Must be exciting.”
“I’ve done it before,” Robin said with that same appealing mixture of embarrassment and smugness. “I used to be on Uncle Kermit’s television show.”
“That’s what I hear. And Gonzo tells me you can play—what it is, the fiddle?”
“The ukulele. And I’m learning the guitar, too.”
“Well—that’s something to write home about!” Unexpectedly, Mabel’s comment seemed to have the opposite of its intended effect. Robin put his fork down and stared fixedly at his plate. Mabel thought his eyes looked suspiciously moist.
“Oh, hey there, Honey,” she said gently. “Did I—I’m sure sorry if I…. Are you homesick, Doll?”
Miserably, Robin nodded. “Maybe a little.”
Mabel sat down across the table from the little frog. “You miss your Mom and Dad?”
“Yeah—a little.” Robin wiped at his eyes. “And my brothers and sisters and cousins and everybody.”
“This is a big place,” Mabel said. “You feeling a little small here?”
Robin made a sound that might have been a little laugh.
“I feel small a lot of places.”
Mabel was silent for a second, thinking.
“You ever throw a pebble in a pond back home?”
“Sure—lots of times.”
“What happens when you drop something into the water.”
“It falls down.”
“Right. What else?”
“What—what else?”
“Yeah—what else happens?”
Robin looked thoughtful. “It makes ripples?”
“That right. And what do the ripples do?”
“They get bigger?”
“That’s right. And sometimes, even when we feel small, we can have a really big impact on the world around us. Sometimes one little thing we do can make a huge difference to somebody else—for good or for ill.” Mabel reached out and touched the back of his hand lightly. “Honey,” she said. “It’s not the size of the stone that matters—it’s the size of the ripples.” She smiled at him. “You unnerstand?”
Robin nodded. “You’re saying I may feel small but I can be important because of the effect I can have on others.”
Mabel gave him a look. “Smart boy,” she said approvingly. “Now—anything else bothering you, Sweetheart?
Robin looked at her, obviously burdened with something. “I don’t think I’m supposed to talk about it,” he whispered.
Mabel sat perfectly still, but her heart began to race. Sheesh, she thought. I ought to go get somebody else—somebody like family.
Robin took her silence for encouragement, however, and plunged on.
“I think someone’s trying to hurt Aunt Piggy and Uncle Kermit.”
Mabel felt like she’d been punched in the gut. She felt all the breath leave her in a whoosh but managed to maintain an even façade with effort. What to do, what to say. There was no one here to guide her, so Mabel was forced to follow her own instincts.
“You might be right. What makes you think so?”
Robin looked relieved to have his fears acknowledged, and let out the breath he’d been holding. “Um, I’ve heard them talking about some bad stories somebody is printing in the newspaper. Aunt Piggy tore up a picture of Uncle Kermit that was in the newspaper. It said something about Uncle Kermit that wasn’t nice.”
“Do you understand what it was saying?” Mabel asked, treading carefully. You never knew with kids—sometimes they understood more than you thought.
“I didn’t understand some of the words, but I think it said that Aunt Piggy doesn’t want to be married to Uncle Kermit anymore.”
Smart kid, Mabel thought. Poor thing. She gave him a frank look. “What do you think? Do you think your Aunt Piggy wants to be married to your Uncle Kermit?”
At that, Robin looked up. “Duh,” he said, rolling his eyes. Mabel almost laughed at the picture he made, but she held on to her composure.
“So, why do you think someone would make up a story about your Aunt and Uncle that wasn’t true?”
“Um, so people will buy the newspaper to find out if it’s true? And cause it’s, um, mean.”
“I’ve already said it, Honey, but you’re a smart kid. I think those are exactly the reasons somebody might print a bad story about your Uncle and your Aunt.” She patted his hand again. “Look, I just met your Uncle Kermit and your Aunt Piggy, but I ain’t never seen two people more likely to stay together. They been together for a long time. I don’t think that’s going to change.” She tried to stop her tongue, tried to tell herself to stop where she was and butt out. “But I think you ought to tell them what you told me. They can maybe explain it better than me.”
“You’re not going to tell them, are you?”
“I think you should,” Mabel said firmly. “So I’m going to leave that to you. But if you want me to talk to them, I will. You let me know, okay?”
“Okay.” He looked up at her and smiled. “I’ll let you know.”
“Hey—chin up, kiddo. Nothin’ bad’s gonna happen today.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, how wonderful! And let the shower of Robin fan praise come in.
Hey Lisssssaaaaaaa! Get in here and read this!

Scooter... What can you say about the gofer. Already taken care of most every little detail within his control backstage.
Kermit getting up early, the thoughts pounding out a tattoo inside his brain.
Breakfast in their suite... Yes, Kermit, parenting involves much more than just that.
But the conversation between Robin and Mabel took center stage here.

And I say bravo! Yes, Robin is a smart little frog, observant too.
And Mabel's earthen yet sensible character shone through here... Giving her a greater dimension than the resident motherly cook while the cast's in Vegas.
*Applause. Great job, keep it coming!

Leyla

Reaction score
Ooh, I'm falling behind! What a nice thing to wake up to though! Two chapters to review!

You know, I like how Floyd finds that song for Gonzo... it just reminds me of how much of a family they all are, that they're helping each other behind the scenes getting acts together... even incomprehensible ones... speaking of which...

Ruahnna said:
Floyd Pepper, the hippest of the hip, was sometimes incomprehensible to Kermit, but this time Kermit was able to follow him with relative ease.
Great line! I love watch Kermit and Floyd interact, especially when Kermit doesn't understand what he's talking about.

Kermit’s brain decoded slower than he listened, but he nodded almost at once. “What’d you have in mind, Floyd?”
“Well, Mr. Little Richard has had—in his glorious day—a tune or two that have had a message for the masses. Or in this case, may be the messes.”
Nice alliteration. <is looking forward to discovering the song>

Camilla has quite a temper it seems. I enjoyed the scene with her and Janice.
<is intrigued by Janice's special day> Love that Thoreau's getting pulled into the mix.

“What a pushover I’m turning out to be,” Thoreau said to the empty room. “The next thing you know, I’ll be selling clothes right off the rack.” The thought made him shudder, and he smiled at his own foolishness. Oh, what the heck, he thought. It’s not like it’s going to take a lot of material.
<laughs>

I love the attention you spend on food, particularly the horrifying frog food. :smile: Somehow you make it sound delicious, if one doesn't think about it too closely. Rowlf's line about the marrying kind was very funny and nice characterisation.

“Have we, uh, have we ever had a good dress rehearsal before?” Rowlf asked. Both men looked thoughtful.
“Coupla times,” Kermit said. “I hope it’s not a bad sign.”
Ah, I loved this! I do some music now and again and we have a saying that a bad dress rehersal means a good concert... not sure if the opposite holds true. I guess we'll find out. Loved them knocking on wood.

I had no idea there was any animosity between Piggy and Rowlf... although, she did slam his hands in a piano once when she was after Chris Reeve. What does it say that that didn't strike me as animosity? <shakes head> Loved the backstory with he and Foo Foo. Love Kermit's reactions to them dating!

“Why Rowlf,” Kermit said, in such a fake exaggerated voice that Rowlf began to smile immediately. “I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.”
“Like heck you don’t,” Rowlf chuckled. “Can’t help but notice you finally gave in.”
“Married life has it benefits,” Kermit said serenely. He liked being married, liked it a lot after the first numbing shock had worn off.
<Laughs> Good stuff here Ru! Not that that should come as a surprise.
Sigh... I love this....mmm, change in Kermit's perspective, so different from the fight he put up as a bachelor.

“Aw, heck,” he said with a sigh. “You think Piggy’s still got Foo Foo’s number?”
“Better let me check,” Kermit said, and went looking for his wife.
Heh, love it! <ushy gushy girl runs rampant>

“Marty says hi.” Kermit looked at her, enjoying the way the foamy bubbles clung to her neck and shoulders. “So, Robin is down, huh? Got room in there for a very tired frog?”
<laughs> Nice try Kermit... loved Robin's reconnaissance! Great chapter, Ru! As for the next one...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Just read the lastest two chapters. Great as usual! Some good stuff with Rowlf and Kermit and good stuff with Robin too. Really enjoying this Ru, can't wait for more!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I do so!

The Count said:
Yes... And you don't want to know about the fight he and Kermit got into when filming TMM.
Funny stuff in that fight.
I do so want to know--am I just being dense not knowing what you're talking about?

christyb

Reaction score
Great chapter! Sorry I don't have much to say. I'm trying to catch up here.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Then lemme educate you Ru...
Do you happen to have The Muppet Movie on DVD with all the extras?
If so, then skip right to the one at the top of the extra footage section, "Follies" I think.
You have to let it roll all the way to get everything, but there's...

Filming a road scene where they send Sweetums off to go get some food.
Car trouble with parafernelia as Fozzie forgets he's driving.
Fozzie and Kermit in the woods, the mentioned fight...
Piggy and Kermit shopping for houses.
Piggy telling Kermit what really happened to Miss Mousey.
Kermit and Piggy staring at the night on the pond.

Lots of good stuff there, recommend you try finding it. If not, LMK and I can do my best to get you what I can from the dialogue.

Leyla

Reaction score
Sigh... there are two versions of TMM of DVD. The one that's easy to get doesn't have all that fun and interesting stuff on it. <tries to imagine Kermit and Piggy house shopping>

They all sound so fun.

Anyway, back to the reviewing!

Ruahnna said:
Kermit could have slept late—probably should have slept late, but he woke up at the crack of 8:30, wishing someone would turn down the noise.
Oh, I've been there! I like the way Kermit's head is buzzing with all the show details. Kermit spends a lot of time watching Piggy sleep in your stories... and I find that so touching and sweet. I love Kermit being loving, without hesitation or denial.

Years of long experience had taught Kermit that Piggy “throwing on some clothes” could take an indefinite period of time.
Hilarious! And so very Piggy!

Frosted Flies? <shudders> You've got such a knack for that sort of thing, Ru!

To his astonishment, Piggy appeared in less than a quarter of an hour, impeccably coiffed, dressed and shod. Her makeup was understated, but tasteful, and her lipstick was translucent enough to keep the bell-boys from stampeding.
Great description! I love that last line!

“Um…brunch?” Kermit repeated, flipping rapidly through the rolodex in his brain. It came—slowly, but it came. “Oh—gah! What time is that?”
Rolodex in his brain! Awesome!

There was a long silence, in which Kermit could hear Scooter grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Sara's obviously not distracting Scooter any. I love his efficiency, and of course, the line I quoted!

“Want to go to this meeting for me?”
“Can’t help you there,” Scooter said, laughing. “Don’t worry about it—Piggy will be there if you have any trouble.”
That seems fair. Mind you, her way of dealing with trouble often gives birth to little ravenous baby troubles.

There wasn’t a muppet anywhere who didn’t know about Fozzie’s usual backstage jitters, and Rowlf’s generous heart was prompting him to reassure the furry funnyman.
Aw... that's so sweet!

Instead of answering, Fozzie looked away absently. “Ma always said that you should play fair,” he said faintly.
<hugs Fozzie> He feels guiltly... that's such a Fozzie thing to do. He's a nice bear, through and through. Kermit's plan is backfiring?

<coos over Mabel feeding Robin>
“I’ve done it before,” Robin said with that same appealing mixture of embarrassment and smugness.
Again, great description! Poor Robin getting all homesick and worrying about Kermit and Piggy. He's too smart for his own good sometimes.
Love the talk about ripples!

“I think someone’s trying to hurt Aunt Piggy and Uncle Kermit.”
Ooh! That's chilling! I like how Mabel doesn't just give him reassurances that there's no problem. Wise Mole.

“I didn’t understand some of the words, but I think it said that Aunt Piggy doesn’t want to be married to Uncle Kermit anymore.”
Wow, I had no idea Robin knew that much about it! Poor guy! All Kermit and Piggy's efforts to protect him didn't work too well did they?

Smart kid, Mabel thought. Poor thing. She gave him a frank look. “What do you think? Do you think your Aunt Piggy wants to be married to your Uncle Kermit?”
At that, Robin looked up. “Duh,” he said, rolling his eyes. Mabel almost laughed at the picture he made, but she held on to her composure.
<laughs> Oh, that's the best part of this chapter, and it's all good! Too funny!

[quote “Hey—chin up, kiddo. Nothin’ bad’s gonna happen today.”[/quote]

I... don't believe that at all.

Wonderful section addressing Robin's worries about all this chaos. I am growing in my concern about him by leaps and bounds.

Great update Ruahnna! It's always such a pleasure.

Java

Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say great chapter! Everyone seems to have covered my thoughts (great people think alike!) and now I'm off to catch up on more!