Kermit Culture

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
There is an exciting new book coming out this year from McFarland & Company entitled Kermit Culture: Critical Perspectives on Jim Henson’s Muppets. The book will be an anthology of scholarly essays exploring the work of the Muppets. Collected, edited, and contributed to by Jennifer C. Garlen and Anissa M. Graham, the anthology includes the work of a variety of contributors and covers a wide range of topics. The book is slated to have a modest release this sping/summer (the exact date has not been set yet), but you'll want to be sure to check out this book.

You can find out more about the book (plus read the list of essays) right here: http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2009/02/kermit-culture-explores-depths-of.html

And you can even pre-order a copy from McFarland right here. :smile:

zns

Reaction score
There is an exciting new book coming out this year from McFarland & Company entitled Kermit Culture: Critical Perspectives on Jim Henson’s Muppets. The book will be an anthology of scholarly essays exploring the work of the Muppets. Collected, edited, and contributed to by Jennifer C. Garlen and Anissa M. Graham, the anthology includes the work of a variety of contributors and covers a wide range of topics. The book is slated to have a modest release this sping/summer (the exact date has not been set yet), but you'll want to be sure to check out this book.

You can find out more about the book (plus read the list of essays) right here: http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2009/02/kermit-culture-explores-depths-of.html

And you can even pre-order a copy from McFarland right here. :smile:
Sounds like a very indepth book. Can't wait to see it for myself. How soon can we find out when the release date is?

Beauregard

Reaction score
It sounds completly and utterly fascinating! And also, it's about time that the Muppets were looked at with this kind of depth, rather than just seen as an excuse for "sillyness". Can't wait to read it, especially the article about Piggy.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
How soon can we find out when the release date is?
Well, right now there isn't one. A specific release date has not been set. I've talked with the editors (Jennifer Garlen and Anissa Graham) and right now they've sent the completed manuscript to McFarland, and they expect to have it back to make any final revisions that McFaland may have really soon. Once they get it back from McFarland with their final suggestions, they'll have a better sense of what the exact release date will be, and they said they'll be sure to let me know! McFarland is planning this for their spring/summer slate of releases so anywhere from April to August is possible. But as soon as a date is set I'll be sure to let you know.

zns

Reaction score
Well, right now there isn't one. A specific release date has not been set. I've talked with the editors (Jennifer Garlen and Anissa Graham) and right now they've sent the completed manuscript to McFarland, and they expect to have it back to make any final revisions that McFaland may have really soon. Once they get it back from McFarland with their final suggestions, they'll have a better sense of what the exact release date will be, and they said they'll be sure to let me know! McFarland is planning this for their spring/summer slate of releases so anywhere from April to August is possible. But as soon as a date is set I'll be sure to let you know.
Thanks. I just wasn't sure. :smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Wow! Just wow! I think of all the various merchandise that's come out this decade - the comics, mangas, Street Gang, Palisades action figures etc this news has me most excited! This is exactly the type of thing i long hoped would one day surface but never thought it actually would! I totally devour anthologies of critical/scholarly essays on my favorite subjects/areas of fandom and i'm ecstatic that finally the Muppets get their due! Some of my all-time favorite books have been other similar collections of essays on my other faves like Filled With Secrets (Twin Peaks essays - of course TP also had the surprisingly long-running quarterly magazine Wrapped In Plastic which also featured all manner of critical analysis and perspectives of both Twin Peaks and all of David Lynch's other works), Farscape Forever: Sex, Drugs and Killer Muppets (three guessese what that's about!) and now a Muppet anthology! I can't think of a better way to truly celebrate the genius of Jim Henson and all the creative team behind the Muppets over the decades than to delve academically into the varied multilayered facets of the Muppeverse. Here's hoping this actually turns out to be the first of several!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Well, I guess there are different opinions.To me, the ideas of essays doesnt excite me.
I would of prefered a photo reference type book.

BEAR

Reaction score
Fascinating! I look forward to it!