Kermit, Ford & the SuperBowl

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Surprisingly it appears the Muppets will be featured in two different commercials during the SuperBowl. One being the Muppets with Jessica Simpson promoting Pizza Hut and Kermit the Frog promoting Ford vechicles!

Kermit the Frog, celebrated actor, author, singer, journalist and expert on all things green, will appear in a new integrated marketing campaign for the Ford Escape Hybrid that will debut during the second quarter of Super Bowl XL on Feb. 5.

In the 30-second ad spot developed for Super Bowl XL by JWT Detroit, Ford’s advertising agency of record, Kermit will encounter the Escape Hybrid – the world’s first hybrid SUV – while exploring the great outdoors. The full story line will be kept secret until the Super Bowl.

After the Super Bowl, Ford Escape Hybrid ads featuring Kermit will appear throughout the year, including on hit shows such as American Idol (Fox), CSI: Miami (CBS) and the Barbara Walters Academy Awards Special (ABC). Print ads will appear in influential automotive-enthusiast magazines, business publications, and newsweeklies. Digital advertising will appear on ESPN, MSN, America Online, and the Washington Post.

On the web site there is also a couple of stills of Kermit from the commercial.
Source:
http://www.car.co.nz/newsevents.asp?articleid=10009

Here's another source:
Source:http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/013106/bus_2006013106.shtml

I hope these two high profile commercials will finally convince Disney to develop a new show with the Muppets.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Ah; Muppet commercials... the only thing worth watching this super bowl.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
If I read correctly, the Pizza Hut commercial will air before the game. So if they have 3-hours of pre-game hype, you'll have to watch for it then. And the Kermit/Ford commercial should be in the 2nd quarter of the game.

On the website above, seeing the picture of Kermit walking in front of the Ford should scare the pants off him after his unfortunate run in with the taxi in Muppets Take Manhattan.:eek:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Kermit the Frog, celebrated actor, author, singer, journalist and expert on all things green, will appear in a new integrated marketing campaign for the Ford Escape Hybrid that will debut during the second quarter of Super Bowl XL on Feb. 5.

I like the way they made sure to include the fact that Kermit is a journalist--that's the perfect role for him. ABC should consider putting Kermit on "Good Morning America"...permanently.:smile:

OverUnderAround said:
After the Super Bowl, Ford Escape Hybrid ads featuring Kermit will appear throughout the year, including on hit shows such as American Idol (Fox), CSI: Miami (CBS) and the Barbara Walters Academy Awards Special (ABC). Print ads will appear in influential automotive-enthusiast magazines, business publications, and newsweeklies. Digital advertising will appear on ESPN, MSN, America Online, and the Washington Post.
Awesome. So if anyone misses the commercial on SB night, then they could always see it while waiting for Ryan Seacrest to stop fooling around and tell who the next American Idol is.:wink:

productoffunk

Reaction score
Disgust (Not Kermits Fault)

:attitude: I understand why the Muppet brand is looking for ways to make money but why this?
What are they trying to achieve?
In the early days Jim used the puppetry skills to get more money to finance the things he wanted to do; I understand that, it got him to a place "the Muppets". Why are Kermit, Animal and the rest being used for commercial purposes? Is it to increase awareness of the Muppets or to sell things? I think it’s to sell stuff and that’s not good.
I know the people who started it all have past away but the essence of the thing is still clear in a lot of Muppet fans minds, the rainbow connection, being green all songs we can identify with , where has that gone (Pepe has still got it)? What has happened to the love and the humor? Have the PRODUCERS who make the decisions decided that "Puppets, there for kids, so make the stuff condescending, kids don't get adult humor, so it does not matter" This isn't what the Muppets are about and that’s what gets me, why has it changed so much? (I’m still there looking forward to the next thing, but what’s happened to the core ideas?)
I'm going to stop right now; I don't want to get annoyed too much but what’s happened?
Where has the adult/child humor gone?
Thank you Muppet central for letting me rant.
"Some day we'll find it the lovers the dreamers and me"
Ps Statler and Waldorf from the balcony are doing the Muppets proud
Product of funk
Check you later.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
It's not the first time Kermit has done adverts promoting cars, I found this on the web :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
I thought this commercial was cute, but in some of the scenes (the kayaking for example) he looked a bit ridiculous, but I think that was the point. He looked so silly in that river.:smile: