1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Kermit the Frog makes illegal move on German television

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

This story is making the rounds today...

Kermit the Frog makes illegal move on German television

Kermit has run afoul of Germany's media authorities. ZAK, the federal commission charged with regulating the German airwaves, found Kermit guilty of illegal product placement in an appearance last year on commercial network Pro7.

The channel used the famous frog to present its so-called Disney Day of programming, which featured several family-friendly films. But Kermit also mentioned the theatrical release of Disney's "The Muppets." Because the promo was not marked on screen as an ad, Pro7 violated German media law, which bans product placement unless clearly identified as such. Pro7 has admitted the error.

In its most recent session, the ZAK also ruled against pay TV group Sky Deutschland for showing ads of sports betting site bwin during its broadcasts of German league soccer matches. Sky violated the German ban on gambling ads on television, ZAK ruled. Sky has argued the gambling ban does not apply to on air references to bwin, which are not traditional ad spots.

The media commission can not directly fine broadcasters for breaking advertising laws, so it is unclear whether the violations will have any legal consequences.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/...-makes-illegal-move-on-german-television?lite

[​IMG]
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

As Kermie says "oh good grief!!" :p
  3. Borples

Borples Active Member

....and then, and then the head of German broadcasting, who happens to be a hard-nosed son of a gun with a grudge against amphibians, has Kermit arrested until such time as he can pay an exorbitant fine--one million euros! The Muppets don't have that kind of money because they have a LOT of bills/restitution to pay related to Gonzo's latest Stunt Spectacular. So in true Muppet fashion, they break him out of jail and go on a mad journey around Europe, gathering clues that will prove that the frog was framed!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were writing the next movie. ;)

Seriously, though. I'm glad I don't work for German TV. Sounds like there are lots of rules lurking around just waiting to be broken.
    Bannanasketch and Gonzo's Hobbit like this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen... the head of German television Standards and Practices...

[​IMG]

"U-U-U-U-UNACCEPTIBL-L-L-L-LE!!!!"
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

For a minute there, I was thinking this was going to be about Kermit making the "Party Salute" (Heil Hitler), based on the photo used in this story.
    Vincent Liu, mupcollector1 and Walter like this.
  6. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Well...he had to do something after getting kicked out of the Candy Kingdom. :coy:
  7. Pinkflower7783

See if Kermit comes to Germany anymore!!! Omg so stupid!
    Walter likes this.
  8. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

What I would like to know is why did no one think about looking up what the regulations were before airing?
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, all joking aside, the hand motion is ALL wrong for that anyway. Though I'm pretty sure referencing Germany's past within 50 feet of the country is a bootable offense.
    SkeetScootSquat and Walter like this.
  10. kyunkyua

kyunkyua Active Member

That appearance was ages ago! They only figure it out now?
  11. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

My thought is that his entire appearance was probably scripted and this script was undoubtedly approved by the German television network. I can understand the Germans' fear of hidden propaganda but if there's anybody libel for this bizarre rule it would be the network, but Disney or Kermit. The Muppets are obviously being used to grab headlines. I guess that can be seen as a good thing in a twisted little way. ;)
    Walter likes this.
  12. Pinkflower7783

"slams head on table"
    Walter and ZeppoAndFriends like this.
  13. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Naughty Kermit.Bad frog.:laugh:
    Walter, Borples and jvcarroll like this.
  14. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

*sighs* I guess our favorite frog will be on his way to jail, now that he's done something illegal. And then I guess the next movie will have to be postponed. :)

*measures length in between D'Snowth and Germany*
    51 feet! No offense!
  15. Pinkflower7783

16. Pinkflower7783

Anyone know where Piggy is? We need her to work those bars like in MC. LOL!
  17. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What exactly did Kermit do?
  18. Pinkflower7783

Read the article above
  19. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

The first time I read it I didn't get it. I understand now.
  20. Pinkflower7783

Yeah all that legal stuff can be confusing. LOL!