Kermit's role as narrator in Muppet worlds

superboober

Reaction score
What I've wondered for some time now is how he's able to always be around to introduce to the audience the show they're about to see, even those that otherwise little concern him (i.e., why would narrating them be impotant to him?) As I see it, most of these seem to happen around his swamp (but could this be an entirely different swamp ffrom the official Swamp in Orlando), and thus he either hitches along as part of the story (Cinderella, Frog Prince) or could follow behind and observe (Musicians of Bremen).

For Emmet Otter, it's strongly implied he knows Doc Bullfrog and spends Christmas with him, through which he observed the talent show (although there's definitely no Kermit puppet visible watching the show, unless I'm not looking hard enough) and Doc's hiring of them afterwards (even with his full-fledged scene removed, there seems to be a Kermit-like silhouette on the far left window just as the Otters begin their dual song for hte first time. At any rate, Kermit would then find the tale of how they got there interesting and decide to go public with it (so under this logic, his biking up could have been "filmed" so to speak, up to 9 months or so later, and the Riverbottom Ganag luckily showed up.

With the Christmas Toy it's clear he lives on the same block as the Joneses and knows them quite well. I'm guessing that at one point he was leaning against the toy room door when no one else was around and heard them all come to live, convinced them not to panic when he came in, interested, and got the whole stole off them (explaining how he knows the characters when they're hibernating on him at the beginning). Now knowing the intricities of toy life, he waited for something big to tell a story about, got it when the Jones's bought Meteora (so preumably they shop together sometimes on the holidays), and poistioned himself on the roof come Christmas Eve to record everything

Do you think my hunches have merit? And did I miss anything?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Well there's always been discussions of what is Muppet canon, and for the most part, most people don't even see TMM, GMC or MTM as Muppet canon; so by that logic, none of Kermit's narrator roles would be considered canon either. Rather it's looked at like the frog and the rest of the gang are steady workers taking gigs as they see fit, and the movies are acting gigs they've landed.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well, never having seen the Frog Prince but having a good understanding of it, I'd say that Kermit would be more involved, this being the swamp where he lives. From a muppets behind the scenes point of view, this was the first appearance of his nefue, and he probably aranged it so that he would be right there as much as possible.

beaker

Reaction score
Real Muppet canon I believe is:

the backstage antics on the Muppet Shows(Muppet Show, Jim Henson Hour, Muppets Tonight)

Anytime ya see a Muppet do a tv interview

Muppets@WDW I believe is canon

I do not consider Gonzo to be "an alien". To me the movies are not canon.

However, the Muppets are technically "actors", so when they are in a movie they are acting. Thats how Kermit can be Captain Smollet.

I consider most Jim Henson productions to be Muppets, except for Dinosaurs, Storyteller, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal and some other things(which I consider "creature shop/fantasy world)

So you have Muppets as actors, actual Muppet "story" canon(Floyd is with Janice, Kermit and Piggy are broken up but still good friends, Gonzo still does not know what he is) and then you have just the fact Muppets are anything from Fraggles to Sesame monsters to Mopatop Shop/Hoobs, Bear in the Big Blue House, Animal Jam, etc.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I like to think of the stories Kermit narrated as stories he heard at one point and decided to share them with everyone. He got together with the people involved in the stories, told them he wanted to film them, and then positioned himself as the narrator to draw the audience in.