Kevin's Response to Criticism?

zns

Reaction score
I'm just curious about this. Knowing that because many people call Elmo's popularity too much of a good thing, or just plain overexposed, what has Kevin Clash said about all of this? I love Elmo very much and think it is wonderful how he has kept the show fresh :smile:wisdom: although in all honesty, Big Bird is my #1 favorite Sesame character, but Elmo's in the list too). But has Kevin ever responded to the criticism? I just hope that what I am asking about isn't to hurtful to some people :embarrassed:. Kevin is truly a great Muppeteer, but I would like to know his response.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm just curious about this. Knowing that because many people call Elmo's popularity too much of a good thing, or just plain overexposed, what has Kevin Clash said about all of this? I love Elmo very much and think it is wonderful how he has kept the show fresh :smile:wisdom: although in all honesty, Big Bird is my #1 favorite Sesame character, but Elmo's in the list too). But has Kevin ever responded to the criticism? I just hope that what I am asking about isn't to hurtful to some people :embarrassed:. Kevin is truly a great Muppeteer, but I would like to know his response.
I've been wondering that myself. I've always loved Elmo (although, maybe that's because I grew up with him and watched him when I was no more than two). But I've always thought Elmo was a good character, and Kevin's a very talented puppeteer. I love watching interviews with him and Elmo. They're always very entertaining.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any problems I have with Elmo are a higher up thing, and I feel mostly out of SW's control for the most part. I really don't think Kevin should feel anything personal, since... let's face it, he's one of the hardest working performers out there, and he has more hats on the show than anyone else.

We all must remember a lot of what went down with SS that turned it into the "Elmo Show" was the fault of the odd movements in children's TV in the 90's (cable stations, single character centric shows, younger demographics), not to mention that's the point where they started losing a lot of people due to death or just moving on to other things. Elmo filled in a large gap, and soon enough became immensely popular with the age group that he was written to represent, 3 1/2 year olds who made up their key audience. We're talking about a decade that began with Barney and ended with Blue's Clues and Teletubbies, so the slide in children's programming is expected to be pretty deep.