Kids Recognizing Muppets

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
My dad was definitely a "Muppet parent," and I thank him for that :smile: Of course, I was a kid around the time of their prime, so that helped.

I'm sure once the fraggle movie comes out, we'll see more kids who know who they are :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, some of us of the fraggle generation don't have babies yet (but still share it with everyone that does)...I still say one diehard fan that shares a series is worth ten of a 'normal' mixing up muppets parent, if only because they don't see it as a 'just for kids' thingie that no one else would be interested in :3. We share the good fuzzy word :big_grin:!
I agree, I'm hopeful about the '80s children generation having families in the future. There were SO MANY wonderful kids shows at that time and still a lot of interest around them. (Now if they would only put Muppet Babies on DVD! :wink: )

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppet Show brand devolved for nearly two decades. It got lost in a twilight stage of not being Sesame children's entertainment or being perceived as the smart humor troupe of characters from the 80s. Kids either didn't identify with them or felt they were to old for them. Since kids drive the merchandise market these days that perception (along with the lack of solid production) turned the Muppet gang into the stuff of obscure nostalgia. The fact that the only consistent exposure to the characters for many years was in Muppet Babies form helped stuff their more clever puppet origins away in a cubbyhole. The Babies' property can't be blamed for the failure of the main Muppet thing going for so long, but it definitely was a factor.

Many fans have had reservations about Disney, but it appears that even with a few misfires they've been handing the Muppet property better than when under Henson (post-Jim) or EMTV. Kids know the characters again. That makes me happy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The fact that the only consistent exposure to the characters for many years was in Muppet Babies form helped stuff their more clever puppet origins away in a cubbyhole. The Babies' property can't be blamed for the failure of the main Muppet thing going for so long, but it definitely was a factor.
It is probably true that Muppet Babies was the main Muppet outlet for a long time. Though I think a lot of kids saw both Muppet Babies and the original movies together. And Nickelodeon showing The Muppet Show in the early '90s was huge exposure for kids of that era.

This could be analyzed and debated both ways, but I think a major factor in the decline was the more recent projects. While they have their share of fans, they simply did not achieve the same level of success as previous Muppet projects of the '70s and '80s. (the major exception probably being Muppet Christmas Carol which was and remains popular and beloved).

I think Disney would be wise to combine the old and new, which I think would most accurately reflect the real world. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The fact that the only consistent exposure to the characters for many years was in Muppet Babies form helped stuff their more clever puppet origins away in a cubbyhole. The Babies' property can't be blamed for the failure of the main Muppet thing going for so long, but it definitely was a factor.
I don't ever think I had that problem myself. The Muppets were always around some form or another. TV stations replayed the Muppet Movies from time to time, some stations reran the Muppet Show, there was the occasional special, that Muppet Magazine, and then there were videos. It could be that those people just watched Saturday morning cartoons and nothing else. I mean, when I was growing up, there were Muppets all over the place.

Now, the 90's saw a growing deficit. A not successful TV show, 3 not really successful movies, and that Disney/Henson VHS partnership that put out more Muppet babies and (oddly enough) Fraggle Rock videos than The Muppet Show. What, did we get 2 best ofs without celebrity guests and one Halloween special made out of the Vincent Price episode and the Alice Cooper special.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now, the 90's saw a growing deficit. A not successful TV show, 3 not really successful movies
It's true, a succession of projects that didn't get off the ground or didn't make the box office can do damage. If the movie they're trying to make now is good, that would obviously be a must needed step in the right direction.

And I agree that the problem wasn't in the '80s; as DrTooth said, the Muppets were everywhere. Muppet Babies included, but also the frequently seen movies and specials.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I remember the muppets doing just as well in the early 90's with reruns and the movies. To me they only seemed to die (all at once) around '96 :frown:. I enjoyed Muppet Treasure Island and then..poof!