King Kong The Puppet

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Tried looking at this link,but it took ages to just reach a white screen.Do you have to have broadband connection to view it?Is it stills or a streaming video?
You probably need broadband to view that version of it. Try this link to a lower res version.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are various versions available (including a bittorrent) on the KongIsKing.net homepage. Go there and scroll down to "Post Production Diary - 8 Weeks to Go!" in the Production Diaries sidebar on the right side of the page.

Limb

Reaction score
Bob Burns Kong Collectible

muppetperson said:
It might be of interest that Sideshow Collectibles are going to release a replica of the 1933 King Kong stop motion armature in the 3rd quarter.It's on their website www.sideshowtoy.com
Bob Burns has the Kong armature, and has teamed up Side Show to produce those new collectible Kongs. You can see a shot of him and his wife Kathy on the set of King Kong with the armature and Peter Jackson. Bob and Kathy make a cameo in the movie, as well as Rick Baker, who plays a pilot in this movie and played King Kong in the 70's movie-

http://www.bobburns.mycottage.com/

Got to see the Kong armature in person a few years back at Wonderfest in Louisville, KY. They had a showing of the 30's King Kong movie at a local theater, and Bob was there with the armature- and special guest Ray Harryhausen. That was a blast!

If you're ever out in the L.A./Burbank area look Bob up. He's got a museum of great SPFX and Hollywood memorabilia. He's also got two books out on it.

The Kong armature is all that remains of the puppet, since the hair and latex went goopy years ago.

Lin

muppetperson

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
There are various versions available (including a bittorrent) on the KongIsKing.net homepage. Go there and scroll down to "Post Production Diary - 8 Weeks to Go!" in the Production Diaries sidebar on the right side of the page.
I guess I am not very computer litriate.I went to the site and saw there a 3 versions to watch.I saved the lowest MB and went to watch it,but I kept getting the dialog box asking if I want to save or open the file(878 bites).When I clicked open,I kept getting the dialog box back again.When I clicked save, I get that the file is already there.Perhaps the file is still too big for dial up or my computer.I will have to get someone who knows about computers to look into it for me.:embarrassed:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I decided to go to an internet cafe and I was able to watch it there.It was worth all the effort.Great to see that Peter Jackson has an original Terradactle armature puppet from the original 1933 King Kong.It was also a treat to see the original Kong armature put back to work in a animated sequence.Great stuff!!

Melonpool

Reaction score
Didn't the George Reeves "Superman" TV series in 1955 use chromakey? I know that the flying suit was more of a grey color since it was too close in color to the bluescreen.

I believe that greenscreens came later (the 80s, maybe?) and that computer compositing is what really perfected the technique because the multiple passes cause negatives to shrink, causing the black and white outlines in some of the nastier mattes.

If you compare the matte lines in Back to the Future II (1989) to matte lines in the rancor scenes in the original release of Return of the Jedi (1983), you can see a definite difference.

spcglider

Reaction score
My boss, Mike was at the premiere for King Kong in NY. He actually got to sit in the theatre with all the stars...as well as P.J. and George Lucas and such. Then he got to fondle the armature of the original King Kong stop-motion puppet. It currently belongs to Bob Burns...a legend in Hollywood. Peter Jackson brought the armature to the premier as his "date". He sat through the film with it on his lap.

Gotta love Uber-geeks, huh? :smile:

-Gordon