Labyrinth Symbolism

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I have a paper to do, and I was wondering what the different aspects of Labyrinth symbolized. I mean, I get that the movie is about a girl growing up, but what does Jared, the labyrinth itself, and the world around it symbolize? Does anyone have any theories about the symbolism in Labyrinth? :confused:

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Oh wow. Thanks. This helps a lot. And I meant Jareth. I wrote that half asleep. :embarrassed:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
coincidence

wow,

I just finished watching the Labirynth (on my 9 ft screen) about 20 minutes ago, and was just thinking about all the symbolism and themes that have been woven into this film. However, it seems there is already a huge discussion about this at the IMDB, so I guess I will head there.

Just had to chime in because of the weird coincidence of this topic. The story of growing up and letting go and excepting responsiblity is one of the reasons I enjoy this film, it doesn't beat you over the head with it, its suttle, but very true and honest in its approach.

alright, I won't ramble. but hey, good topic.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Hmm. I looked around the iMDB discussion, a bit impatiently since it's so late, and I didn't seem to find anything about what the staircases at the end represent...does anyone here have any theories? Cause I'm lost.

Brinatello

Reaction score
I've always felt the staircases were just the end of the game Jareth was playing with Sarah. A lot of trickery to make it harder for her to go after what she's been wanting from the start. Every movie with good versus evil has to have a final showdown, and what better way to do it than to tease the heroine before the face-to-face confrontation?

Oh, and how did your paper turn out? :smile:

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Eh, I kind of gave up on the paper and wrote about other stuff instead, incorporating a little bit of Labyrinth as well. But the links and ideas were very useful. Thanks! ^^