Last.fm?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't sure to pose this question in General Discussion or On the Web, but here it is. I've seen a lot of people online in various places talking about the online radio service Last.fm. I avoided it up until now, but after seeing it mentioned yet again on Livejournal, I thought I'd check it out. I made myself an account, but didn't realize that you had to actually download software in order to fully use it, or so it would appear. Now that made me hesitate. So what I'm asking is, should I do it? Does anyone else here have it? Is it safe?

Thanks.
:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Well, I have a Last.fm account, but I hardly ever go on it anymore (I used it more on my old computer) and to be honest, I use it more as a social-networking music-researching thingy, rather than a radio (it's pretty informative, with tracks and pics and the like). I haven't been on it since 2007 apparently so it's been a while! Sorry... I'm not much help, am I?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I have seem many free radio station availible to listen to on the net, but I usually listen to the radio station that are available on itunes. They have a lot of selection on them.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Last FM? Does that mean there will be no more Fraggle-Muppets to come and you're the very finale creature of your species, Fragglymup?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ah yes, I am the last FM. After all, all good things must end...
:wink:
Katie, thanks. And hey, you were more help than anyone who came before you, so that's something!
:big_grin: But I found out that apparently you can listen to all the music you want just by logging in, and I don't even know if you need to do that!
Will, yeah, I love listening to all types of free internet radio and music programs! Not too crazy about what I've heard from the Itunes selections, but I have listened to and enjoyed, let's see...

Shoutcast
Live365 (Home of Muppet Central Radio!) as well as a lot of other great stations
launchcast on Yahoo
Pandora, (Not very blind-friendly at all, might I add.)
Imeem
And now Last.fm.

I love me some music!
:sing:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Bump, just because it's a fun thread!

It won't usually work at school since the internet connections at college tend to be slow. Now, even though I'm at home, I've sort of got into the habit of not using it, if that makes sense. I listen to ITunes radio a lot, but still do go on last.fm as well!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
With all due respect, please stop bumping old threads. It's very annoying. This thread did not need to be bumped. Neither did the thread about pumpkin seeds or the recipe thread. It's bad forum etiquette. There are reasons these threads died.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Actually, unless things have changed drastically, it used to always be the preferred thing to do on MC. I remember at least a few occasions where, after a member created a thread on a common topic, they were pointed to an existing thread. In some cases the old and new threads were merged. In one case someone even mentioned how even though it was frowned upon in other forums, bumping threads was encouraged here. I believe it was Kevin. I'm certainly not the first to have done it!
And I'll admit the sunflower seeds thread was pointless, but the one on recipes was interesting, and possibly useful to some.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I have no problem with older threads being bumped. We had some recent problems with people taking old threads and adding something insignificant like "i agree" and stuff like that which got annoying but i'd hate to think that any thread could be rendered dead simply due to lack of posts in a while.

And let's hear it for last.fm! I use it and i love it...it's a great way to hear old favorites you may have forgotten about or learning about new bands/songs tailored to your interest that you might not know of otherwise - i also find it interesting looking at the charts for my fave artists.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have no problem with older threads being bumped. We had some recent problems with people taking old threads and adding something insignificant like "i agree" and stuff like that which got annoying but i'd hate to think that any thread could be rendered dead simply due to lack of posts in a while.
This is one reason. If people see old threads being bumped, they might think ANY thread can be bumped. To be honest, I find most of the threads you have bumped to be rather lacking in true conversation quality. A thread asking if you prefer X or Y does not need to be bumped. I find the running away thread to have not been something that is tasteful to bump.

The Myspace/Facebook one...eh. I can understand that one. Basically, there is a difference between bumping threads because you have something legitimate to add that can contribute to conversation, and something that doesn't. I tend to feel most of the threads you have been bumping don't really allow much in the way for conversation. The one about "Literally" was just you ranting about how you hate the word.

Like I said, my main concern is people bumping old threads and posting like one or two words, or answering a question asked years and years ago. if they see people bumping threads, they will think that it's ok no matter what you post