1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Late Night Buffet Taping Summary: Not Enough Juice!

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by renegade, Jul 23, 2006.

1. renegade

renegade Member

Hi Gang ,
    I just got back from a 4 hour taping down at the Henson studios for the show LATE NIGHT BUFFET WITH AUGIE AND DEL .
    I really felt the show was very close to awful , Not enough Juice ! It reminded me of that show ALF'S HIT TALK SHOW ( YUCK )
    Now that being said here is the good news the puppets were friggin AMAZING!
    and watching Brian Henson and Bill Beretta work was soooo Great !
    The band has 3 monkeys and a brooklyn big hair type lady as the band leader. The monkeys were some of the best designed muppets I've ever seen ! and what a terrific female puppet! I will try to do a few drawings this week of them.
    One of the monkeys was puppeteered by Karen Prell and it was also great to watch her work, she has such great timing ! and acting
    But they never took advantage of the band and there great characters, they just played music and never did any bit's which I feel was a huge Mistake .
    There was one DIRTY bit at the end of the end of the show that had a few laughs . The interview of the guest were just God AWFUL and super borring.. .
    If your going to do a talk show why does it have to have the same format as every other talk show (IE:the band and the sassy band leader, two chairs for the guest and a back drop of the city behind them )
    but all in all watching the people work was well worth it !
    Just thought I would share .
    thanks ;)
  2. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Wow, well guess I'll have to jugde for myself.
  3. renegade

renegade Member

please do . These are only my opinions and I would luv to hear yours .
  4. Stulz

Stulz Member

pilot

I was there as well. As pilots go this was really a great 1st step. I think once they add more sketches into the show and use the charcters outside the studio setting the pacing will improve.

We were laughing are "beeps" off (ooops I can't say that here.. you'e gonna have to beep that) for most of the show.

The puppets were huge!! I'm surprised they made them so big.. it's a lot of weight to mess around with.

Anyway I posted the preview shown @ comic-con yesterday on YouTube..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Od4NW_kNbzg

Enjoy!
  5. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

well thanks for the utube and sorry to hear that it was awful
  6. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

Wow! Those Puppets Are Huge!....sheesh, but very nice though....they move so smoothly....and realistically....sorry to hear that the actual show wasn't that great/fun....but it's good to hear Karen Prell is in it!
  7. JAZZ4JEFF

JAZZ4JEFF New Member

I also attended the first taping. Two quick comments. The guests at the first taping were Kathi Najimi and Hal Sparks. They both brought lots of energy and comedy to the show. And, I found it odd the the pages kept telling the audience in line "These are Puppets, not Muppets". "Don't make the producer angry by calling them "Muppets". What was that all about?
  8. Stulz

Stulz Member

Muppets VS puppets

Henson doesn't own "The Muppets" anymore so I guess these puppets will not be considered "Muppets" ..plus that way Disney can't sue/ try to buy the rights to them and then burry them in the vault .. ; ) :p
  9. Stulz

Stulz Member

guests

Oh just one more thing: The guests for the 2nd taping were Fred Willard and Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).
  10. matleo

matleo Active Member

Fred Willard should be fun. He's great in an improv scenario casue he always looks like he's uncomfortable so you start to ignore him but the he says some really outlandish things.

--matt
  11. JJandJanice

When does the show air on TV? TBS, right?
  12. Stulz

Stulz Member

Air

The thinking is 11pm on TBS. Won't be on until early 2007 I heard, but we'll see..
  13. JJandJanice

Also shouldn't this thread be in the Jim Henson company threads rather than the Walt Disney Company threads.

Disney doesn't have anything to do with this, right?
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Does anybody who saw the tapping remember what voices Brian Henson and Bill Baretta used for their characters?

Man, it seems like this will be the first-ever Henson series to actually be performed in front of a live studio audience. I wonder how close to a real talk show this wil be. I wonder if episodes will be rerun.
  15. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Bill sounds like slower slightly less italian Jonny Fiama and BRian sounds like a less ftrantic slightly deeper italian Sal.

I don't really know why they used such giant puppets. I don't think they are all that great. Not much expression in them other than what is built in. I was expecting something less human looking.
  16. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 New Member

I think the show was very good and has a lot of potential. I believe it is going to be a 30 minute show, so you have to remember that the not so funny parts will be cut out. I think Henson has a potential hit on their hands! :)
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I bet the format being the same as every other talk show is parody. Keep in mind that Hensons like parody.

By the way, I merged the two threads together since they were the same topic.
  18. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

I went with Chris (Stulz), and I thought it was hilarious. It was great to see the Muppets (puppets... whatever) back to being a little more edgy without it feeling forced. I felt that was the worst part about MWOO was that it felt forced. Brian and Bill were great as always. Fred Willard was hilarious.
  19. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

wow!!! thanks for the YOUTube link... they are kinda BIG lookin'. The one that Bill is doin moves like a robot almost! :smirk:
  20. cyberroo

cyberroo New Member

We went to the later taping, and while I thought the guests weren't great, I think the concept has potential. Hopefully Hal Sparks was more entertaining in the early taping.

The puppets are huge, I assume to keep them in proportion with the human guests, rather than having little tiny puppets with big people. We also wondered if there were Disney issues there - by rescaling the puppets, it reduces the confusion with muppets.

The interstitial skits were hilarious, and I think the show will get stronger as they grow more accustomed to the format. Hopefully they'll get that opportunity.

It was completely amazing to see how the show came together, and to see Bill and Bryan in that environment. Very different than even PuppetUP.