Leland Henson Museum on Turner South Network

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let our southern Americans know that the Birthplace of the Frog Exhibit in Leland, MS will lead an episode of the Blue Ribbon Travel Show on Turner South Network airing on Aug. 18 at 9:30 p.m. To the best of my knowledge, Turner South is only available in AL, GA, MS, TN, SC and sections of NC. You can find more info on www.turnersouth.com. If you get a chance to see this episode, please let us know what you think. Congrats to the gang in Leland on this excellent opportunity. :smile:

Ryan

Reaction score
Will the Henson exhibit be featured?

If anybody happens to catch this, please email me. I've got a lot of Muppet video material I can trade with you.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Ryan said:

If anybody happens to catch this, please email me. I've got a lot of Muppet video material I can trade with you.
Ryan I plan to tape it and I would be happy to trade with you,Email me at muppetfest@aol.com and we can work something out.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Uhm, sorry if I didn't make it clear but the Birthplace of the Frog Exhibit in Leland, MS is the Henson exhibit. Again if you go to www.turnersouth.com and look under the "Blue Ribbon" show and it might help make it clearer.

Storyline:
History is the only thing these amazing museums have in common.

We're off to the Magnolia State, where four museums vie for the honor of Mississippi's most amazing. Each is world-renowned thanks to a certain quirk. The competitors include Coca-cola, cotton, checkers and Kermit the Frog. What else would you expect from one of the South's most intriguing states?

Jim Henson Exhibit, Leland, Miss.
The man who imagined Kermit the Frog grew up in the small farming town of Leland, Miss., playing on the muddy banks of slow-moving Deer Creek. He spent much of his time with friend Kermit Scott, catching frogs and other critters. Today, on those same banks, the local Chamber of Commerce features a permanent exhibit devoted Jim Henson and his Muppets. In the birthplace of the world's most famous frog, visitors find photographs from Henson's childhood, relics from Hollywood and other treasures that would make Miss Piggy swoon.

International Checker Hall of Fame and Museum, Petal, Miss.
Just a short jump from Hattiesburg, Miss., this one-of-a-kind museum is a global hotspot for checkers. Although home to the world's largest checkerboard, it uses more conventional boards to host competitions like the Mississippi Open, which crowns the Mississippi State Champion. The museum tells the story of this ancient game, which originated in the days of King Tutankhamen several thousands of years ago in Egypt. The Hall of Flags showcases the colors of the 200-plus nations that now play checkers.

Biedenharn Museum of Coca-Cola Memorabilia, Vicksburg, Miss.
In Vicksburg, Miss. in the late 1800s, Joseph Biedenharn's candy stores were the only place in town to get a Coke. Today, a museum honors the local businessman who eventually became the first-ever person to bottle the fizzy, brown beverage. Visitors find original Coke soda fountains, antique bottles, a reproduction of Biedenharn's bottling works and a history of the drink told through generations of memorabilia.

Cottonlandia Museum, Greenwood, Miss.
Cotton is king in the heart of the Mississippi Delta, but it's not the only thing at this Magnolia State museum. Cottonlandia interprets the history of the Delta through the five As: art, agriculture, archeology, antiques and animals. Stuffed black bears, alligators, wild boars and other Delta creatures thrill kids, while exhibits on moonshining and cotton production pique adults' interest. Local art is also on display, with works in watercolors, stained glass, ceramics, mixed media and more.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight (Wednesday, August 18) is the night that the Blue Ribbon show airs it's episode on the Leland Birthplace of the Frog Museum. If you get a chance to watch it, let us know what you think.

Please see the first post for time and channel details.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Well I didn't forget, it was a nice segment about the Frog Exhibit. But I'll let Cindy or someone else talk about it.

According to the Turner South web site, this episode repeats (all times EST):
Fri., 8/20 at 8:30pm
Sat., 8/21 at 3pm
Wed., 9/22 at 10:30pm
Sat., 9/25 at 3pm

It was a short segment at the beginning of the show, but a nice one.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about it! Talk about it! Thanks for giving me the opportunity but we don't get Turner South, so the floor is your's.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm always SO tardy on these notices!! I completely missed it. If there's a re-air, somebody email me.