Let's give Elmo a break

That Announcer

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Would they be happening simultaneously?
No, they wouldn't. What I mean to say is that we have the regular street segment with the new gang where it is right now- directly at the beginning. The street segment with the classic characters would go right where Elmo's World is now. We have too much Elmo as it is- he's in the street segments, PLUS he does letter of the day segments, PLUS he's in the shorts, PLUS he's got his own segment of the show.

Personally, I think this would be a great way to re-introduce the younger SS generation of viewers to classic characters like Roosevelt Franklin, Prairie Dawn, Guy Smiley, the cowboys, Don Music, etc. ...

BEAR

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
No, they wouldn't. What I mean to say is that we have the regular street segment with the new gang where it is right now- directly at the beginning. The street segment with the classic characters would go right where Elmo's World is now. We have too much Elmo as it is- he's in the street segments, PLUS he does letter of the day segments, PLUS he's in the shorts, PLUS he's got his own segment of the show.

Personally, I think this would be a great way to re-introduce the younger SS generation of viewers to classic characters like Roosevelt Franklin, Prairie Dawn, Guy Smiley, the cowboys, Don Music, etc. ...
I appreciate your idea, but still don't know if I see it working. I also do not expect to have Don Music and other such previously canned characters revived, as cool as it might be.
What I have noticed lately in the shows is that they put the entire street story in whole at the very beginning. I prefer the original format where they broke up the main street story and spaced it through out the hour with other skits and cartoons and things interspersed. You know what I mean. I think they need to just go back to that and strike Elmo's World all together. Maybe leave Elmo's World for dvd/video releases like they have been doing. It seems like if Elmo's World was out, people would not have as much of a problem with the character because he would not be so "over used" or "dominate". I, personally, don't like the new Trash Gordon thing at the end. I like having just someone random on the street introduce the sponsers at the end of the show. And what ever happened to "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop"? That was so classic.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I get why people would dislike him (I do think he's pretty annoying), but I'm tired of people who bring up Elmo (sometimes for no good reason) to talk about how they despise him and how he should die. (same thing with Spongebob)

That Announcer

Reaction score
BEAR said:
What I have noticed lately in the shows is that they put the entire street story in whole at the very beginning. I prefer the original format where they broke up the main street story and spaced it through out the hour with other skits and cartoons and things interspersed. You know what I mean. I think they need to just go back to that and strike Elmo's World all together. Maybe leave Elmo's World for dvd/video releases like they have been doing. It seems like if Elmo's World was out, people would not have as much of a problem with the character because he would not be so "over used" or "dominate". I, personally, don't like the new Trash Gordon thing at the end. I like having just someone random on the street introduce the sponsers at the end of the show. And what ever happened to "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop"? That was so classic.
Actually, that's a very good point. Elmo's World is much of the reason why we EDs hate him- it allows him to dominate more show time. I'd prefer to put him in an occasional role in the street segments, cut Elmo's World, and sometimes give him a sketch. That would be great. Or, only have Elmo's World every fifth episode, or something like that. That could work!

BEAR

Reaction score
You see...I strongly feel that if Elmo's World didn't exist, people would accept Elmo and not resent him so much. He was extremely likeable when he debuted and then he got his own 15 minutes dedicated to him. The show is always changing. Who knows? The Elmo's World segment may end sometime soon. There are only so many things you can talk about in Elmo's World before you run out.

DTF

Reaction score
Agreed; I remember in the mid 1990s, probably before Elmo's World, babysitting & watching a bit of SS once with one of my cousins, and Elmo was pretty much new to me then, don't know if I'd seen him while babysitting before, but I think not. (It would be probably the only SS I'd see between the '70s and a few years ago) Anyway, he was singing "Let's take a ride in my automobile," and he didn't seem that bad. Actually, his voice seemed better, too - I think someone else mentioned how it got higher pitched, too.

Don't know if he was talking in 3rd person or not then, but you're right, I spoof Elmo's World, but there are also only so many things you can have him thinking about in a spoof :smile: I don't know how many EW segments there are, but there are at least 26, and I'd think close to 40. That's 8 weeks worth if you do a series, certainly enough to keep repeating for kids, I would think. Does anyone know how many there are?

Drtooth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
You see...I strongly feel that if Elmo's World didn't exist, people would accept Elmo and not resent him so much. He was extremely likeable when he debuted and then he got his own 15 minutes dedicated to him.
I agree. That is the one thing I always find fault with. I mean, I watched a few episodes of EW, and some had some pretty funny stuff hidden in it (In the "ears" sketch, there were numerous refferences to Looney Toons, including the "Right Turn at Albequerque (sp?)" That Bugs keeps taking). But I feel that this really should be slowly abandoned, and made it's own show for younger SS viewers. I really wish PBS would consider that. I mean, Barney has had his 15 minutes of fame (or shame, as I think) back in 1991-1995, Telitubbies was only popular because Jerry Farwell had to open his big mouth, and Boohbah doesn't seem like it's going to take. Get rid of one of them.

I cannot fault Kevin Clash or the character of Elmo himself for the overpresence. The writers, demographics... the 3 year olds, they're the reason why he's popular.

BEAR

Reaction score
If it makes any anti-Elmo fans feel better...

If it makes any of you anti-Elmo fans feel better, I caught today's episode and noticed that there was absolutely NO Elmo in the entire show up until the Elmo's World segement and he was rather enjoyable to see.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
BEAR said:
If it makes any of you anti-Elmo fans feel better, I caught today's episode and noticed that there was absolutely NO Elmo in the entire show up until the Elmo's World segement and he was rather enjoyable to see.

Thats hopw it has been for the past couple seasons elmo gets his "15 Mins"