Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board

mrhogg

Reaction score
Looks like some fun stuff. It was a little hard to hear what was going on, as the audience was being picked up louder than the performers, though.

The biggest problem for me is trying to remember what Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board is (paranormal game, I remember, but the specifics elude me).

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I agree with Brian, it's really hard to hear. That happens with high energy group scenes--but then add the audience (who were enjoying themselves immensely!) and characterized voices (which are more difficult to understand), plus less-than-perfect acoustics, and you've got a big jumble on the audio.

That being said, the scene had good energy!

One thing Die Puppet Die is working on right now is really making sure that our puppet's eyes are focused on who they're talking to & not just making sure their faces/bodies are pointed in that general direction. (which really just inspires me to make new puppets)

We did 3 shows this weekend--the last one wasn't our best, but I think we were just worn down by then. I'm getting too old to be starting shows at 11pm. Anyway, you've inspired me to try to get something up on youtube.

Out of curiosity, do you guys keep your characters in one universe? Are you doing free form? What's your deal, sock?

mike short

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you guys keep your characters in one universe? Are you doing free form? What's your deal, sock?
We do a free form, and the show operates on a few different levels. Essentially, the show is treated as though the puppets are the performers; they are the ones improvising. The puppeteers are ignored as much as possible. If there's a tag-out, a puppet will tag out the other puppet, etc. So, let's take Kermit and Fozzie. They have personalities as Kermit and Fozzie on their own. But they are also performers and could act as different characters that aren't Kermit or Fozzie, get it? That's ho we treat our puppets. For those of you who know The Harold improv format, we follow a loose Harold format.

What I love is that this kind of scene is not possible with human performers. You can get an audience to suspend disbelief very easily and perform all sorts of actions that a human cannot do.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
yeah that's one thing that I really, really enjoy. It's like being able to be a cartoon character live on a stage. Not only are you physically able to do more, you can do more socially.

we've played with a lot of different styles. We'd been doing it where the puppets are the improvisers, but we're leaning more toward a "one new universe per show" way of doing things. Allowing the puppets to be used as a mask--once the mask means something in a scene, it means that for the rest of the show. Our scenes aren't necessarily related, but they all exist in the same universe. But we're just a duo at the moment. I wonder if it would be different if we had an ensemble.

*really wanting to get the tapes*