Lips

jediX

Reaction score
Although, Animal and Zoot did cameo in a JHH episode as part of a small Elec.Mayhem/Solid Foam combo group.

That Announcer

Reaction score
He didn't speak much because Jim considered Steve's idea for a voice racist, right?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
What? That's not my understanding. They/he/someone thought that it may offend the general public if a white man played a black (well, he's actually yellow) character. Apparantly the voice was going to be based off Louis Armstrong, kind of thing. Where did I read this? I think it was the Steve Whitmire interview here on MC.

(And TA, about the mp3, THANK YOU THAnK YOU THANK YOU. And your pm box is full.)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
He didn't speak much because Jim considered Steve's idea for a voice racist, right?
Steve said in an interview (found here on this site) that he wasn't to comfortable with voicing Lips. He did say now that if he ever did Lips again that he would feel fine letting Lips talk.

The uneasiness of a character speaking was something Dave Goelz was dealing with when he had Zoot say something. Dave didn't feel right when Zoot said something, so he made Zoot quiet in later seasons of the Muppet Show, movies, and specials.

ryan

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I'd love to see Lips and the Mayhem be a main part of a muppet production

minor muppetz

Reaction score
appearances

It is weird how in the only muppet movie that he had something of a big part in, Zoot spoke a lot of lines, most of which were full sentences and coherent. I wonder if Lips had lines written for him that Steve Whitmire asked to have changed for Zoot (like how dave Goelz has said that whenever Zoot had lines written for him he would give them away to floyd, although i think he could have tried to give some lines to dr. teeth or janice).

anyway, I would like to list the episodes of the muppet show that Lips appeared in:
Shirley Bassey: He appeared in the opening number, "boogie in the barnyard", and in the u.k. spot, "after you've gone".
James Coburn: he appeared as part of a jazz band in the roaring twenties sketch.
melissa manchester: he appeared in Mellissa manchesters number, "whenever I call you friend".
Wally Boag: appears as part of the orchestra somewhere in this episode.
Hal Lindon: he appeared somewhere in this episode, probably during "when the saints go marching in".
Roger Moore: he appeared in the u.k. spot, "how high the moon".

are there any other episodes with Lips?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I think he was in the band at the end of the Paul Simon episode

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
I think he was in the band at the end of the Paul Simon episode
No, he wasn't. I don't know why. Probably either becasue there was no trumpet sound in the song (although Zoot played a tambourine instead of his saxaphone) or becasue Steve Whitmire was performing either one of the femae singers or dr. teeth's hands and there weren't enough perormers left for Lips to be there (if it was up to me I would have ditched one of the female singers). he also didn't appear in the other electric mayhem number in that episode, "Fifty ways To leave Your Lover", but rizzo did (he played cymbals), although Dr. Teeth and Zoot were not in that number.

In fact, the only time a trumpet was heard in that episode was when Gonzo tries to sing his song to kermit. An orchestra is heard but no musicians are seen. Too bad. it would have given Lips another appearance.