List of Changed Channels

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's interesting how Disney bought Fox Family but would have to renegotiate with every cable company in order to drop the "Family" name or cancel the 700 Club. Why not just start an entirely new channel, like they did for Toon Disney and (I believe) others? Is it so they'd be guaranteed cable providers upon ownership?
Clearly cost more money. Plus it was probably cheaper just buying a network out from under someone willing to get rid of it.

I'm starting to doubt Disney's clout over everything. Yeah, they have litigious lawyers, but they can't kick Pat Robertson's butt off the network, and they can't tell Louis Prima's widow to suck it when it comes to Louie from The Jungle Book/Talespin.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just thought of another one: Hallmark Channel.

In the old days, they played a unique variety of certain older programs, such as LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, M*A*S*H, WALKER, TEXAS RANGER, I LOVE LUCY, among others, not to mention all of their various different original TV movies and such.

Then a few years ago, Martha Stewart took it over, and basically (though not surprisingly) turned it into "The Martha Stewart Channel".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not so much a changed channel, but I HATE that qubo started bringing in the same crappy programming that I always complain about being made for FCC lipservice. Taste Buds? A bunch of teenagers on ecstasy being waaaaaaay to excited about making spinach smoothies? The fact that was even made means something's completely screwed up.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I just thought of another one, National Geographic. The channel used to be about nature and animals, now there's more weird "reality" documentaries than good nature shows.

However, a channel associated with National Geographic called National Geographic Wild or NatGeo Wild, showcases nothing but animal documentaries and shows like The Dog Whisperer and The Incredible Dr. Pol. I'd rather watch that channel over the regular National Geographic channel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aw, they're sure to create like 9 more shows that no one will like or watch that's just there because the network execs LOVE to troll.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's the way it is anymore: almost all networks keep rehashing their own shows over and over and over again... seriously, truTV's got like five or six different versions of WORLD'S DUMBEST... that they keep cranking out year after year.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I've noticed that the Rural TV channel (232 on Dish Network), not to be confused with its sister network RFD-TV, has quite a number of vintage TV programs during the 7-10 p.m.programming lineup (7 - 10 p.m. Central Time) such as WKRP in Cincinnati, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart (the 1980's sitcom), Highway to Heaven, and other programs such as Mr. Belvedere from 6:30-7 a.m. (Central), Bonanza (3 - 4 p.m.), Sue Thomas, F.B. Eye (1 - 2 p.m.), Remington Steele (5 - 6 p.m.), in contrast to the rest of the schedule consisting of country music, ag news shows, informercials, etc.

Sometimes it's just a matter of knowing when to check the networks for classic programming airtime.....

Katzi428

Reaction score
Antenna TV is now what TVLand used to be.
TVLand in its original incarnation is what Nick at Nite used to be.
It seems wherever they move the Norman Lear sitcoms to (All in the Family, Maude, Good Times, etc.) you do get a decent roster of classic programs, for a while.
Then some Executive Vice President of Programming ignores the credo "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and the retro-vibe party has to find a new home. We'll see how long Antenna TV stays before someone has the infinite wisdom to tamper with it.
:smile: YAAAYYYY!!! wildly applauding the fuzzy one's insight He's pretty much hit it straight on the head!
I was going to ask where shows like Happy Days & Laverne & Shirley have gone but then realized that they're on channels that some people don't get. walking away grumbling about stupid cable companies and old people not wanting certain channels

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Come to think of it, even The Weather Channel has changed quite a bit as well.

They SLOWLY started adding more and more documentary series about extreme and historical weather occurences and such (anyone even remember STORM STORIES?), but those were usually aired late at night, while the rest of the day was dedicated to, what else? Weather. NOW, They'll have weather reports like in the morning and early afternoon, then fill the rest of the afternoon and evening with more of those documentary series about weather, BUT, they ALSO fill in the airtime with REALITY shows that have nothing to do with weather, like lifeguarding and such.

I also like how they also try to keep their ratings up by bringing in really attractive female reporters dressed in figure-hugging dresses that show off ample cleavage... I honestly believe there's actually tumblrs and such dedicated solely to these weather ladies and the many sexy outfits they wear. :stick_out_tongue: