"Literally", from the Romano Rant Files

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I thought I'd capitalize on the rant files that are going on around here. I know this is is stupid, but it's something that drives me insane.

Have any of you noticed (or may even be guilty of yourselves) how much people are using the word "literally" all the time? And usually incorrectly too. Most of the time people will use it to emphasize their point, like; "I was literally running across the street." As opposed to figuratively running across the street?

Others will use it completely wrong, like: "I literally went insane." No you didn't! If you did, you'd be locked away at an institution!

Like I said, I know it's kind of dumb, but it drives me nuts. Listen to your friends or interviews with celebrities on TV and see often the use the word "literally". :attitude:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Reminds me of a KIng of Queens episode where Kerri befriended an ex-girlfriedn of Doug and one of the main things that annoyed him about her was her over usse of the word "literally".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought I'd capitalize on the rant files that are going on around here.
See what you did Count?

But anyway Davo, unfortunately, I really don't agree with you this time... I mean, nobody in this world uses perfect/correct grammer all the time, I think because of the circumstances, "literally" is pretty much the more correct sounding word to use in such cases.

Now then, as far as the word "practically" is concerned, then I can see where you're coming from, lol.

Skye

Reaction score
Lol, this rant reminds me of this one episode of the show The King of Queens where Doug can't stand one of his old girlfriends because she said "literally" literally (:wink:) all the time.

This is something I actually haven't noticed. I think I used to say this word a lot when I was younger, but I haven't in so long, and I don't know too many people who say it. But I'll probably start noticing it now!

Edit: Hey, Oscarfan! Obviously we were thinking the same thing, lol. :big_grin:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Great minds think alike, I quess Skye.

Now, I think people, especially around my age, are using "like" a lot.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The girls in my still do.

Some had the barins of five and six years olds. :stick_out_tongue:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
See what you did Count?

But anyway Davo, unfortunately, I really don't agree with you this time... I mean, nobody in this world uses perfect/correct grammer all the time, I think because of the circumstances, "literally" is pretty much the more correct sounding word to use in such cases.

Now then, as far as the word "practically" is concerned, then I can see where you're coming from, lol.
I actually copy and pasted your thread and changed "Bolt" to "Literally" and of course the username.

Okay, you're right, no one has perfect grammar, but I think the general populace needs to start using better grammar. I am in no means a scholar in this area, but I try to speak properly. I cringe when I hear things like "I don't got no..." and I never use the word "ain't". I also feel people need to carry this mentality over to these forums as well. I always reread my posts to make sure I'm saying what I want to say clearly and that I'm spelling everything right. Heck, the other day I got a little irritated and a little red in the face when I read someone post about "Faggle Rock" :smirk:

When I was five, six, seven or so, a lot of girls would say "like" a lot, lol.
"Like" was huge in the eighties and I still hear it used a little too much sometimes still. "Literally" has become the 21st Century's "Like". Lol!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alright Davo, let me talk to you some about the subject...

First of all, you can blame the whole "Rant Files" thing on our resident Count, as I simply posted the thread with no real title to it since he seems to edit the title of my threads anyway; in this case, the threat became "Bolt", from the S*N*O*W*T*H Rant Files", lol. But hey, cool, thanks for copying and pasting me man!

Secondly, I completely agree with you, though I must admit, I DO use "ain't" on a daily basis, but the sad truth is that "ain't" IS a southern thing (not just a stereotype), and since I come the south, "ain't" is simply a part of our vocabulary; but even my dad will point out if I say something like "I ain't go no", or "I don't got no", etc, lol. And I too try to maintain a consistant proper grammer, spelling, punctuation, etc in my posts as well, no matter what forum I post on; when I was in school, English and Language Arts were two of my best subjects, and frankly, I'm not so lazy to simply type "g i fl gr8 2day u?" instead of "Gee, I feel great today, how about you?"

And while "like" might have been an 80s thing, it's certainly been a 90s and 2000s thing as well; but again, I mostly hear girls say "like" a lot.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Actually, MC isn't too shabby when it comes to that, then again, I think it's actually a forum rule here to speak properly. When I see posts on YouTube though, I am flabbergasted by how poorly some of these people write. It's unintelligible and makes the wrier look like a moron.

Really funny random thing: my internet browser (Safari) uses red squiggly lines under misspelled words (like Microsoft Word), and ironically here on MC, "Muppet" is not recognized!