Little Bird-was it really he or she?

Splurge

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
3) with 1969 Big Bird sitting on a brick wall (picture is in Sesame Street: Unpaved book
Now, that's interesting, because in 1969 the only Muppeteers were Jim Henson, Frank Oz as Caroll Spinney. There might have been others doing right hands and the such, but both Fran Brill and Jerry Nelson didn't come on until 1970. (That was indicated in the "Unpaved" book and in interviews.)

If all that holds up, and that scene in the Unpaved book is indeed from 1969 (and judging by the look of the set and Big Bird, it does) then, well, who's playing Little Bird in that scene?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the character has been referred to as both a he and a she in different places.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Maybe there's 2 Little Birds? After all, several are hatched at one time.

scarecroe

Reaction score
On the LP, "Grin and Giggle With Big Bird," there is a song called "Mr. Big Bird, Mr. Little Bird."

The last time I checked, the "Mr." salutation denotes a member of the male gender.

Can anyone cite an example of when LB was reffered to as a she/her/female?

foofoocakes

Reaction score
I am an official old person who saw little bird on seseme street growing up. As a kid I always though she was a her. :rolleyes: But I also remember th first time I saw the snffalupagus and it scared the holy heck out of me.

ssetta

Reaction score
Female characters have been played by males many times, but not usually the other way around. If you know "Cookie's Poem" from the album C Is For Cookie, Howie the Bunny is voiced by Fran Brill, and I don't think the character Howie is a female. But you know, I never knew he was a bunny until I finally saw the skit on Play With Me Sesame. When I listened to the record, I was like "What on Earth are those boings for?" And now I know!

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Female characters have been played by males many times, but not usually the other way around. If you know "Cookie's Poem" from the album C Is For Cookie, Howie the Bunny is voiced by Fran Brill, and I don't think the character Howie is a female. But you know, I never knew he was a bunny until I finally saw the skit on Play With Me Sesame. When I listened to the record, I was like "What on Earth are those boings for?" And now I know!

SSETTA, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! Awhile back I posted the question "Who is Howie?"....well, nobody knew and insisted that I meant Herbie and that it was Herbert Birdsfoot. Made me a little angry...I was sort of treated like an idiot!

Thank you so much for clearing that up and hopefully shaking up a few snobby SS trivia buffs!