Little Bird

squirrelboy

Reaction score
Hello out there - squirrelboy here.

I have decided to try again and make another post.

How many of you out there remember "Little Bird" on Sesame Street?

Does anyone know if he was part of any sketches, or was he another muppet? And what year did he last until?

Any of your thoughts would greatly be appreacited.

Thanks a lot,
squirrelboy

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Little Bird was there for the first 2 Seasons, he was supposed to be Big Bird's best friend. Once Snuffy came along in Season 3 they didn't really need him anymore. A few of Little Bird's inserts continued to be seen till the later years, and Little Bird lived on in various Sesame Street books. Hope this helps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How do you know that he last appeared as a main character in season 2? He could have continued to be a character for later seasons.

I know of three season one sketches with him: a sketch where Big Bird first met him (which is the only time that I know of where he interracted with Big Bird on the show itself), in a cameo in One Song (Song of One), and as a mystery pet choice in Pick Your Pet. I know of two post-season one sketches with Little Bird: a sketch where he has the viewers play an imagination game, and a demonstration of "next to". And he sang with Big Bird in the song "Mr. Big Bird, Mr. Little Bird", but I'm not sure if that song was ever used on the show or if it was just recorded for an album.

Little Bird has made a number of smaller appearances, though. He can be seen in the arbor area in episode 131 (during the scene where the cas tthrows the letter J to each other), and in that same episode, he briefly flew by in I Whistle a Happy Tune. He also made brief flying appearances in Do Op Hop and The Hear of a Frog, he sat at Birdland in The Birdland Jump, and he appeared alongside other characters in We Are All Earthlings (he even sang a line in that song).

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Hey MinorMuppetz, why do you have to turn every post I make into an argument? I know the facts, okay? Iv'e talked to Classic Sesame Street fans who are a lot older than you who grew up with the 70's Sesame Street. Who know the facts. Quit making me look stupid. I'm really getting sick and tired of it.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys let's keep the under control. Personal attacks towards other members won't be tolerated per the forum rules.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Just wanted to note that Sesam Strasse used the Little Bird puppet for various roles a few years ago.

Tim

Reaction score
The first version of "Little Bird" was bult back in the early '60's as a marionette. He was the "Kenner Bird"-the logo used in commercials for Kenner Toys, although he didn't look much like the logo at all-go figure!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
Hey MinorMuppetz, why do you have to turn every post I make into an argument? I know the facts, okay? Iv'e talked to Classic Sesame Street fans who are a lot older than you who grew up with the 70's Sesame Street. Who know the facts. Quit making me look stupid. I'm really getting sick and tired of it.
I haven't intentionally turned any of your posts into arguments. I have looked at some of your posts that I've commented on, and most of my comments seemed helpful to me. I know that there were some posts I've commented on where I've asked about how you've known something that I've commented on (I guess it comes from contributing to Muppet Wiki, where many users have asked about sources on various discussion pages). I don't think anybody here looks stupid just because somebody asks about how they know something.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim said:
The first version of "Little Bird" was bult back in the early '60's as a marionette. He was the "Kenner Bird"-the logo used in commercials for Kenner Toys, although he didn't look much like the logo at all-go figure!
My guess would be that Jim Henson planned on reusing the puppet in some way (even if he didn't know how, exactly) and didn't want to be sued over the characters likeness.

squirrelboy

Reaction score
Hello squirrelboy again,

WOW, I am suprised to hear how many people knew who "Little Bird" was. I have always thought that Little Bird was in the canary family in terms of birds. To tell you the truth - I grew up in Mid '76, so I didn't get much of a chance to see how this show started out, so that's why I started this post, to get some in-sight. I just didn't know how long characters like this one existed until.

BTW: I never knew that a muppet like Little Bird would be used in the baker 1 sketch, to be honest - I have never gotten a chance to see that sketch on the air (I sure wish I did), then I would believe that Little Bird did do a cameo appearence in the One Song (Song of One). But until someone can add that sketch to "youtube", I guess there will always be a blank in my mind.

Also, LincolnHeights and minor muppetz, you two are "BOTH" intitled in your own seperate opinions on the facts. No more arguing - please, let's shake on that.

Thanks for your memories and keep up the good work!
squirrelboy