Little things we've noticed

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I remember as a kid, I used to be intrigued from the way the Yip Yip martians looked outside the window in space in the family song.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I listened to "Hand Talk" for the first time in awhile and now JUST caught on that Lillias White provided some backing vocals. :shifty:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Nina has so many jobs that I completely forgot that she works at the laundromat. In fact, i'm not even sure if she still does. We've only seen her work there once, plus she owns the bike shop now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And that reminds me of that article that came out shortly afterwards, claiming SS was racist for depicting a young Latina (presumably college-age) working multiple jobs, which is bull, because there's plenty of young white people out there working five or more jobs to get by as well: it's called North America.

cjd874

Reaction score
Nina has so many jobs that I completely forgot that she works at the laundromat. In fact, i'm not even sure if she still does. We've only seen her work there once, plus she owns the bike shop now.
Wow...this makes me feel a bit unhappy about the revamped Sesame Street. I hate to say it, but I think that there is too much focus on the Muppets. Not that the Muppets are detrimental to our health, but SS seemed to be so much more effective and entertaining when the human-to-Muppet ratio was a bit more balanced and diverse in terms of ages and ethnicities and when there was more emphasis on the human characters' lives. I grew up in the 1990s when the human cast was at its largest: everyone from Bob and Susan to Celina and Tarah was on the street, and everyone had a clear-cut purpose. Nowadays with just Nina, Alan, and Chris it doesn't feel right. I'd feel better if at least one of the classic cast members returned as a senior figure. Gordon would be great for that purpose since he was basically a father figure to integral characters like Elmo and Telly. Hopefully something like that happens for Sesame Street's 50th anniversary.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You seem to forget they've scaled back on Muppets as well - this is because most other preschool shows have small casts of usually three or so main characters; it's decided SS has too many characters - both human and Muppets - hence why they've scaled back. We have the "Core Six" of characters, where one or more of each of them is mostly likely to appear in every episode (Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Abby, Cookie, and Grover), the others have been reduced to minor/secondary/supporting characters.

cjd874

Reaction score
You seem to forget they've scaled back on Muppets as well - this is because most other preschool shows have small casts of usually three or so main characters; it's decided SS has too many characters - both human and Muppets - hence why they've scaled back. We have the "Core Six" of characters, where one or more of each of them is mostly likely to appear in every episode (Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Abby, Cookie, and Grover), the others have been reduced to minor/secondary/supporting characters.
That is also a bummer...I truly wish we could see more of characters like Snuffy, Rosita, and the Count. As far as I know, Marty and Carmen haven't retired yet. Also, I wish that Telly would appear more often...I read somewhere that the writers loved doing scripts for him, and Marty enjoyed playing to Telly's emotional extremes which made the character much more effective.

I assume that Ernie and Bert have been appearing a lot less as well?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert have been appearing more in off-show material, like YouTube videos, commercials, and the like. We may start seeing a little more of them now that Peter Linz is Ernie's new full-time performer.

cjd874

Reaction score
Peter Linz is movin' right along, isn't he! It's great that he's inherited such an iconic Muppet role. Muppet Wiki says that he is also the new performer of Link Hogthrob, Robin the Frog, Statler, and Herry Monster (!!).