Looking for "Soft Foam" Source

Treelo

Reaction score
This might be a question for ToastCrumbs, but if any puppet builders out there have any information it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a source for something puppet builders often refer to as "soft foam" - it is usually used in combination with scott foam to create a flexible mouth. It can also be sculpted into a very flexible puppet head.

Thanks!

Jinx

Reaction score
I found this link awhile back. I haven't bought anything from them, but they do appear to have quite a comprehensive inventory!

http://www.bobsfoam.com/

If you're looking for a "soft" mouthplate, Buck Beaver has suggested using plumbing gasket rubber. I bought a piece 12" square at Home Depot for only $5.00. I've fashioned a mouthplate from it, and so far its working really well. I haven't installed it into a puppet yet, but I think its going to be everything I need it to be; flexible, expressive and durable.

Treelo

Reaction score
Jinx said:
I found this link awhile back. I haven't bought anything from them, but they do appear to have quite a comprehensive inventory!

http://www.bobsfoam.com/

If you're looking for a "soft" mouthplate, Buck Beaver has suggested using plumbing gasket rubber. I bought a piece 12" square at Home Depot for only $5.00. I've fashioned a mouthplate from it, and so far its working really well. I haven't installed it into a puppet yet, but I think its going to be everything I need it to be; flexible, expressive and durable.
Thanks for the info. For some reason, I couldn't get the web page to load.

I generally use soft foam in the areas where the corners of the mouth plate meet the foam head base. The soft foam helps makes the mouth easier to move. I haven't used soft foam yet as the actual mouth plate of the puppet, but I have built several characters using a scott mouth plate in combination with rubber.

If anyone has any additional info, it's be a great help....

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "soft foam" but chances are engineered foam in Toronto sells it. They ship to the US (and the Cdn $ means you get a 30% discount) but the minimum order they will accept can sometimes be high.

Their contact info is:

Engineered Foam Products
111-B Snidercroft Road
Concord, Ontario
L4K 2J8 Canada
Phone: (905) 695-0640
Fax: (905) 695-0532
engfoam@vitacanada.ca

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I've got some big chunks of foam from an apholstry (may the spelling gods have mercy) shop before. They gave me a pretty fair price, seeing as I'm still working from the same block I got 3 years ago.