Loose Animal and Beaker wanted!

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Rob White

Originally posted by frogboy4
The sets are definitely worth buying.
Bear in mind the sets are between $50 and $60 here, and i've never seen an EM playset in this country that hasn't had the crap bashed out of it before it even gets to the store so you don't even get a mint one for that. Remember how some people (ie:- YOU !) gasped when Ken first said the Theatre would cost $80 at minimum ..... it's Theatre land every day here in England babe !

That said they are very nice sets - but at that price only really something for the real hardcore collectors. Gets back to the same old thing about getting the prices (somehow) lower in the UK. Lots of Muppet fans in the UK (well, a smaller but more dedicated fan base according to Henson) who would probably buy this stuff at a decent price could well help make up the numbers from any retailers that have dropped out in the states. Maybe Palisades should distribute themselves here ?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wanting Animal in his traditional outfilt led me to believe he was a serious collector. Problems are really not that hard to solve. Heck, you could find a friend in the US to buy and ship the playsets or get them off of Ebay.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i guess you are right actually, he would be a serious collector. It's a shame they can only really sell to serious collectors here though - i'd love them to be in TRU or Woolworths, i think they'd do well. The bit about getting a playset off Ebay or from a friend in the states - it'd be around the same price because the playsets would incur import tax, then tax from the post office because they had to get it through customs. The figures are different, you can ship them in surface mail so they are within the no tax limit and it works out about $10 per regular figure. I usually do that myself. Mike H said on the Palisades forum that it's the price they want to actually retail at over here if they can.

anathema

Reaction score
Import duty is only due on goods brought in with from outside the EU with a value of £18.00 or more. The means of shipping does not affect this :smile:

The trick, of course, is to have whoever's sending it to fill out the customs tag with a lower value...

Out of interest, how much does it cost to have a figure shipped from the US to the UK?

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah, the shipping doesn't affect the tax, but it affects the price you end up paying for the item in the end - so i usually go the cheaper route. It costs between $4 and $6 to ship a single figure surface i think depending on which figure. If you have a friend sending a playset yeah they could write in a lower value, if you ordered it from an actual online store in the states i guess customs might open it or charge you regardless.

I am actually toying with the idea of bringing a set of figures in from Canada, i think it might work out cheaper with the £/CDN conversion.

Rob White

Reaction score
In response...

I know few people would split up ther sets, but I thought I'd at least try. As other Brits have stated, they're a lot of money around here, and I doubt I'd ever display the playsets around the place, just the figures. So I was just looking for a simpler way, really.

As for being a 'serious' collector - not really. I'm a fairly casual Muppet fan - couple of videos and only a few figures so far - and only those because Palisades has done such a fantastic job. I plan to be pretty selective with the range, so it's just a pain that the three I want the most of all (Animal, Beaker and Swedish Chef) are going to be the most expensive! As for the regular costumes I just thnk they look nicer - suppose I am a bit fussy over that kind of thing.

Still, I went back to the Virgin the other day and found a red shirted Zoot, so if nothing else I might Ebay him off and put the proceeds towards Animal or Beaker...

Rob.

(and yes Alex, I am that Rob - when I clocked your sig I thought I recognised the name....)

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob White
(and yes Alex, I am that Rob - when I clocked your sig I thought I recognised the name....)
:-D Welcome to the forum!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Still, I, your bear, the bald guy in the States, have no idea what a Chameleon Circuit is.

anathema

Reaction score
In this case, it's:

http://www.chameleon-circuit.org.uk/mainpages/intro.htm

The chameleon circuit is the part of a TARDIS that allows it to change its external appearance to blend into its surroundings. The one in the Doctor's machine has been broken since a visit to London, circa 1963, where his TARDIS disguised itself as a police box, and (with a few exceptions) it's kept that shape ever since.