Louise Gold in Labyrinth

Whatever

Reaction score
Louise Gold is credited as one of the ballroom dancers in Labyrinth. Does anyone have any idea which one? It's hard to tell with the masks.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I looked at that just last weekend and I was trying to get closer looks at all the people in the masks, but I have the VHS version not the best thing in the world with a widescreen TV. There are so many dancers in that scene and it moves so fast, I wish there was more audio without the music to listen to.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I've tried watching this film, especially that scene, several times on both Video and DVD, and and so far I've never managed to work out which one of them is her (and being a rather a fan, I like to think I'm usually pretty good at spotting Louise Gold on screen).

One of the nice things about the Labyrinth DVD is that they show a rehersal clip of The Ballroom scene, and Louise is quite distinctly recognisable in the rehersal footage, so thats something.

Emma

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Louise Gold was the first British puppeteer to work for Hensons, and indeed the only British puppeteer on TMS, where her best known character was Annie Sue Pig. She went on to help set up the British TV puppet series Spitting Image (and was that programme's original Leading Puppeteer).

In addition she is also a gifted singer-actress, and these days is more often to be found performing in musicals in London's West End, she is currently starring as Baroness Bomeburst in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (and has previously appeared as Tanya in Mamma Mia, and Phyllis in Follies).

For further details (including her TV appearances, and cast album recording credits) I suggest you check out the following fan site about her career: http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/Start.htm

Hope that helps
Emma

Whatever

Reaction score
Skekayuk said:
One of the nice things about the Labyrinth DVD is that they show a rehersal clip of The Ballroom scene, and Louise is quite distinctly recognisable in the rehersal footage, so thats something.

Emma
I must not be as good as I've thought, 'cause I never spotted her there either. And I tried.

Whatever

Reaction score
I went through and re-watched the documentary and movie. I think Louise must be the one in the black and white stripes in the documentary, no? Well, she's practicing this little thing with a mirror and a male and a female dancer, so she must be one of the dancers that appears at 1:08 minutes, as the words "We're choosing a path; I'll leave my love between the stars" are sung, because then that move is repeated.
What do you think?

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I was fairly sure from memory that the one in the black & white strips with the mirror wasn't her.
I've just rewatched the documentery, and I'm pretty sure that in the rehersal footage she is one of the girls (there are two) wearing black leggings and a white top - she's the one whose top/t-shirt does not have a collar. The one who in that first bit of the rehersal scene is holding a large feathery fan. Even in the rehersal scene her red hair is pretty touseled. Just at the end of that first clip (before it cuts away) she gives some little look/movement, something about the way she turns (which I seem to think I recognise - having seen her on stage several times).
A little later there's a moment on the documentary where Jennifer Connelly doing a voice-over (picture the ballroom rehersal) saying "I'm awful at ballroom dancing", just before it cuts to Jennifer herself, I'm pretty sure that Louise and whichever guy she was partnering in that bit of the scene move down to the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and then just out of shot as it cuts away.

I have also just watched the ballroom scene again, I'm not too sure about this, but I think Louise might be one of the dancers quite visable throwing herself around at the very end of the scene, when Jennifer smashes the glass.

I'm pretty sure I've spotted her in the rehersal scene. But I'm much less sure about the Ballroom scene itself.

Hope that helps
Emma