Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers vs real life

Avalon

Reaction score
Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers on the Muppet Wiki (in case the name wasn't familiar - the characters themselves probably are)

Okay, so it's pretty obvious that when these muppets were designed, they were based on real-life figures.

Lubbock Lou = Fidel Castro
Slim Wilson = Willie Nelson
Lou = Janis Joplin
Gramps = Grandpa Jones (so says my father; frankly, I can't see the resemblance)
Zeke = Jerry Garcia.

That leaves one person. Bubba. For quite a long time, this jug player has stymied me. Is he the odd man out, the one muppet who isn't supposed to represent someone else? Or have I just missed this one entirely?

Anyone else have thoughts like this?

muppet baby

Reaction score
Ok i have a question about this name Lubbock Lou i live 20 min of the town Lubbock Texas .
is Lubbock lou named after the town ?
i would love to know this ! i have heard of lubbock lou but never thought about this until now looooooooooooooooooooooo that would great though if he was named after the town :smile: :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I read some posts on the old Muppet Central forum long ago that they were based on their performers, though I hardly see any resemblence to any of the performers. If they are meant to resemble their performers, then Jerry should have had a beard, Zeke's hair and beard should have been brown, and Bubba should have had shorter hair. And don't get me started on Gramps (or, for that matter, the fact that some of the jugband members didn't have eyes).

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I'd go for saying they look more or less like their puppeteers: well Slim Wilson does look a lot like Jerry would look without a beard (did he always have one in his TMS days?). And Lou-The-Jugband-Lady does bear an uncanny resemblence to a certain redheaded West End actress (at least when that lady lets her hair grow longish).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd go for saying they look more or less like their puppeteers: well Slim Wilson does look a lot like Jerry would look without a beard (did he always have one in his TMS days?). And Lou-The-Jugband-Lady does bear an uncanny resemblence to a certain redheaded West End actress (at least when that lady lets her hair grow longish).
A better question is have any of us Muppet fans ever seen any pictures of Jerry Nelson without a beard? I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a beard longer than Jim Henson has.