Mah Na Mah Na contraversy

Hays

Reaction score
This one came up between my husband and I: growing up, doing dishes, we always sang "Mah na mah na, PAH - TEE PAHTEEPEE!" so I tried it one night - my husband looked at me like I'd sprouted a new head, and corrected "Do doo dedoodoo!"

When we borrowed A Sesame Street Celebration, I gloated because they were clearly singing my version. He got back at me, though, when the muppet video we just bought has has HIS version on it.

So, there are two different versions of the song - but I don't remember who (or, more correctly, what) sang the pah-tee pateepee version. Anybody know?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays

So, there are two different versions of the song - but I don't remember who (or, more correctly, what) sang the pah-tee pateepee version. Anybody know?
Oh, not sure myself. I know the origins of the original Mahna Mahna song are kind of strange. I think it was originally some 60's Sweedish pop tune or something.

Btw, this song is on a Sesame record? I knew Mahna Mahna was on Sesame Street, though some folks say its just his twin, heh.
Hmmm...but yeah I have no idea who sang the version you mentioned. Heck until a few years ago I thought it was
'phenomenon, doot do do doot do' LOL

Joggy

Reaction score
"Pah tee pah tee pee" was a Sesame Street version. The Muppet Show "Mahna Mahna" had "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo".

Both versions featured Mahna Mahna (a shaggy hippie) singing "Mahna Mahna". In Sesame Street two girls sang along with him (1969), and on the Muppet Show they were two creatures called The Snowths (1976).

The original song by Umilioni (sp?) had Pah tee pah tee pee. But doo Doo doo doo doo is most popular.

geez, I AM a diehard, discussing Pah Tee Pah Tee Pees and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doos.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Heh, ya beat me to it ya gosh darn Inclore!

Yeah, like the Jog man said. That's actually an interesting way to see the evolution of the character Mahna Mahna as far as physical appearance and such, being he looks SO different version to version.

-Matt

Salmoto

Reaction score
Well some people tend to believe you're not a real Muppet fan unless you have the urge to "do do do do do" everytime someone says "Phenomenon."

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Sal,

Actually, I should think most people who arent Muppet Freaks would do that.

If someone says "Phenomenon" i would expect anyone to answer "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo".

But i wouldnt, I would only reply when someone says "Mahna Mahna".

:big_grin:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Alex,

I knew someone would get me !

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo !

Come on Yahoo !

:big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I understood it to be (on SS) "Ba dee ba dee bee." Seems it was written that way on the interior lyrics?

I've bought materials to build Mahna Mahna btw. Just gotta find time and figure out a pattern.