Mains and second third and fourth bananas?

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
We all know the Muppeteers have Main characters they play more than others.
Jim had Kermit. Ernie on the Street.
Frank had Piggy. Bert/Grover/Cookie on the street.
Richard had Scooter. Glayds on the Street.
Jerry has ? and Count on the Street
Dave has Gonzo.
Steve had Rizzo, but now Kermit and Ernie
Carol of course, has Big Bird and Oscar.
Marty has Telly.
David has Baby Bear I think...
Bill has Pepe.
Kevin has Clifford for the Muppets and Elmo on the street and so on and so fourth.
But when the scene calls for a crowd, you usually see the Muppeteer's main characters and second characters next to each other, Rowlf joining Kermit, or rarely, Kermit and Ernie. Bert/Grover/Cookie are sometimes together, Piggy and Fozzie as well.

The whole point of this topic is, who do you think had to juggle the most of there characters? My obvious choice is Jerry. He went from Uncle Deadly being his main, to Floyd, to Robin, to Lew Zealand on the Muppet Show, and on Sesame Street, he had Count, Sherlock, Biff, Mumford, Herry, Farley, Mr. Johnson, Little Jerry. This isn't counting all his oneshots like Granny the Gouger.

How does Jerry do it? I mean, in some group scenes, Robin and Floyd are together, and we all know...Jerry can sometimes be abit lazy when making the puppet look like it's mouthing sylables, but when he has two, it's perfectly fine.

dmoss

Reaction score
Hmm. I think you're right that Jerry had a wide-range of well-known characters, but on the level of importance, I think Frank probably had his fair share (not to even mention Jim). Frank had both Fozzie & Piggy, two of the main five. Then, on the Street, he had Grover, Cookie, Bert...I mean, you don't get much more gargantuan than that! :wink:

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Hmm. I think you're right that Jerry had a wide-range of well-known characters, but on the level of importance, I think Frank probably had his fair share (not to even mention Jim). Frank had both Fozzie & Piggy, two of the main five. Then, on the Street, he had Grover, Cookie, Bert...I mean, you don't get much more gargantuan than that! :wink:
If you wanna get techniqul, Jerry also had Crazy Harry, Pops, J.P. Grosse, Lewis Kazagger, Robin, Floyd, Gobo, Majority of the Trash Heap, Pa Gorg, Beard, Emmet, and countless others.

I ain't saying he isn't good at it, but how does he do it? Jim's characters sound the same sometimes, Kermit=Ernie, Rowlf=Dr.Teeth, Newsman=Waldorf, Link=Captain Vegetable, Guy=Weird mix of Kermit, Link, Chef.
Frank had Fozzie=Bert, and basicly, from then on, it's either Piggy, Sam, Cookie, or Grover like voices, unless he crosses them to be like Marvin.

Jerry only has two characters that sound somewhat the same, Gobo and Robin.

Heck, look at the drastic voice and personality changes from Floyd to Count to Deadly to Robin.