1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

MAKE YOUR OWN KERMIT...Sort of

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by pdbooch, Mar 10, 2003.

1. pdbooch New Member

Hey All,
    I don't know if this has been discussed yet...

OK, so I won an auction on ebay not long ago of the Kermit Frogtographer from Macy's with the intent of turning it into a puppet. A friend already gave me one for my birthday back in December and ever since then, I've thought, "that would make a great puppet." So I went on ebay and found an excellent price for the plush and did it. I have to work on the body and the fingers yet, and the head definately needs foam work but it really looks like the real thing. I strongloy suggest you all go and do this. You won't be sorry.

Plus if you want to make your own Kermit, this is a great way to examine the design.

Patrick
  2. Fozzie Bear Moderator

If you are heartless enough, you can take him totally apart at the seams and you have a Kermit the Frog pattern. I want to do that, but I haven't got the nerve.

And he's happy about that!! --->:)
  3. pdbooch New Member

Yes, yes, I'm cold and heartless...oh the burden of being evil...ho hum...none the less, my Kermit is so much happier now that he doesn't have to only speak 4 lines. I've given him a real voice. Its all for the better.

I haven't taken it apart totaly, just enough for use as puppet. I actuall can't bring myself to pull it apart completely...Guess I'm not THAT evil after all.
    Patrick
  4. Muppet Pro New Member

Well Instead Of Taking a Kermit plush apart to make a puppet,

Maybe Try To Make Your Own.

Yah,

Like..........

Styrofoam balls cut in half for eyes,

Permanent marker to draw the eyes on,

Light Green Fleece,

Thin foam for the mouth or hard felt,

& Very Light Yellow/Green For The Collar.
  5. Muppet Pro New Member

Well Instead Of Taking a Kermit plush apart to make a puppet,

Maybe Try To Make Your Own.

Yah,

Like..........

Styrofoam balls cut in half for eyes,

Permanent marker to draw the eyes on,

Light Green Fleece,

Thin foam for the mouth or hard felt,

& Very Light Yellow/Green For The Collar.

Hope This Helps

:)
  6. pdbooch New Member

Hey Muppet Pro,
    Actually, I've been wanting to make my own. I'd use ping-pong balls for the eyes and antron fleece dyed to match the real Kermit green as closely as possible. I'm on the hunt for gasket rubber, which is what I've read Muppet mouthplates are made from. I'd also like to use seude cloth for the red of the mouth, but I'd use felt for the tongue and tonssils (sp?). As for the colar, it would probably be a thicker felt. But all of these plans can get pretty pricey, so I went with the conversion of a plush instead.

Also, by taking this plush apart, I can get a better sense of the design of the head of Kermit. I've been doing trial runs with regular polar fleece, but I can't get the shape of the head correct, nor can I get the "smile" in the mouth. The plush does make for a very life-like Kermit. I'm still working on the padding in the head to get good support while working the mouth.

I've recently begun making puppets again, after a lengthy hiatus of doing so. You can check out my recent puppets in the webpage in my signature.
    Do you make puppets?
  7. Muppet Pro New Member

8. Muppet Pro New Member

So Your The Person that made those Cool Cifford & Gonzo Puppets. Those Are very close to the Real Muppets.
  9. pdbooch New Member

Hey Muppet Pro,
    Yep! I made them about 10 years ago or so, when I was about 15. It's funny the items I used to make them. I had no money then, so I had to scrounge around my attic to find whatever I could. Once I did get small amounts of money together, I would by yarn, felt, ping-pong balls, glue etc. I just wish I knew back then that I could hot glue foam. Would have saved me some time. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight.
    Do you have photos of your puppets to post?
    Patrick
  10. Muppetsdownunder New Member

Your puppets are great! I like audrey 2! :)
  11. Muppet Pro New Member

No, Not Yet. I will Soon Though. So far I've Build A Kermit puppet , Scooter, And a head of Scred. (I've even build a Elmo out of felt too.) :)