Manhole Explosions in San Francisco!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
One month ago a manhole exploded a block away from where I live. It knocked out power for a day and a half and closed down the intersection for weeks. This morning another one occurred across town a block away from where I work. Reportedly there have been others too. The electric company cites these as isolated incidents of underground electrical fires. The city seems to be flaming from underneath these days. I hope there's nothing more to this, but if there is - you heard it here. I haven't heard of any deaths so that's a good thing. I'd expect issues from earthquakes, but it just might be that manhole covers do us in! :eek:

I hope things get fixed soon so that these explosions come to an end and manholes can revert back to the primary function as turtle enclosures. :wink:

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
We had this in the alley next to where I worked a couple years ago in Philly. It was a weird deal. I had actually left for a half day that day so I missed the excitement by a mere hour and a half or so but it crippled the mass transit system here and all of the buildings evacuated. The building actually shook and many thought there was a fire in the building and panicked. Crazy.

Nick22

Reaction score
woah. i didn't hear about that. i hope everyone will be okay. i wish you the best.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I blame the rats. They always cause those kinds of problems.

If you were living in NY City, I'd blame the Ninja Turtles.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here's the story, but it doesn't show all of the smoke. Here is what it looked like last month down the street from me. I will never walk on another manhole cover again! :eek:

Could be the rats. City rats are the size of small children here! I've seen 'em! No matter how big they are they can still squish in the tiniest of spaces. :shifty: Lots of raccoons here too. You wouldn't think they'd be in an urban setting, but they run in large packs. :embarrassed: