Maria Tells Her Life Story

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
I was just on youtube.com, & saw a video clip called "Maria Tells Her Life Story", wherein Maria tells Big Bird a story about all the jobs she's held since she graduated from high school.

The very first job she said she had showed a flashback clip of Maria working in a small library that later became Luis's "Fix-It Shop".

Since I always believed Luis was a founding cast member of Sesame Street, can anyone out there tell me exactly when he joined the cast & if the conversion of the library into a "Fix-It Shop" was incorporated into the show's story line?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Both of them along with Northern Calloway aka David 1st appeared in 1971 but unfortunatly I don't know exactly when the fix-it shop appeared. the SSU shows only had 2 episodes from the 1971-72 season one copyrighted 1971 and the other 1972. Neither episode mentioned the library though the 72 one wich was the rain episode did have Raffiel comming out of the fix it shop to give David his radio wich was broken when it began to rain.

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Both of them along with Northern Calloway aka David 1st appeared in 1971 but unfortunatly I don't know exactly when the fix-it shop appeared. the SSU shows only had 2 episodes from the 1971-72 season one copyrighted 1971 and the other 1972. Neither episode mentioned the library though the 72 one wich was the rain episode did have Raffiel comming out of the fix it shop to give David his radio wich was broken when it began to rain.
Thanks very much for the info, mikebennidict! :smile:

Who was Raffiel? I'm sorry to say I've never heard of him! What was his role on the show? :confused:

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
Rafael was a short lived Human on the show who originally owned the fix it Shop. Rafael was only on for the 1971-1972 season. There were 2 other humans who joined the show that year, and were also written out after that season. Molly the Mail Lady played by Facts of Life Star Charolette Ray, and a guy named Tom who worked at the Fix it Shop with Mr. Hooper. David took Tom's place the following year.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think you meant to say Hooper's Store there. I don't think that Mr. H. ever worked at the Fix-it Shop. Lol.

Censored

Reaction score
Chris Gawley said:
I was just on youtube.com, & saw a video clip called "Maria Tells Her Life Story", wherein Maria tells Big Bird a story about all the jobs she's held since she graduated from high school.

The very first job she said she had showed a flashback clip of Maria working in a small library that later became Luis's "Fix-It Shop".

Since I always believed Luis was a founding cast member of Sesame Street, can anyone out there tell me exactly when he joined the cast & if the conversion of the library into a "Fix-It Shop" was incorporated into the show's story line?

What's funny about that episode is that Maria tells her past jobs to Big Bird as if they took place "before his time" since he is only supposed to be six years old. But, those scenes from the library were flashbacks from actual early shows and take it from an eye witness, Big Bird was right there! LOL I remember an episode where Maria was working there and explained to Big Bird what a library is and how people borrow books. At least they were careful not to show any clips that Big Bird was actually in. It was a sloppy mistake on the 35th anniversary special to show Elmo in a scene that was supposed to have taken place before he was born. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, at least they were better at continuity back then then they were now. When Maria told BB about the part where she asked Luis for a raise she said, "remember you were there?" So for the most part they did well with that one.

It was kind of dumb in the 35th anniversary special to act like Elmo wasn't there for the adoption of Miles or even in Maria and Luis' wedding. Especially when they directly show Elmo in the flashback. Lol.