Marionettes

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Have any of you ventured into this realm?

I'm incredibly intimidated by them...but really want to start.

mrhogg

Reaction score
I haven't yet, but I've long wanted to. I am also somewhat intimidated by them.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i work at a Marrionette theatre in Brooklyn(well im sort of an Artist in Residnce now, i dont perfomr ona regular bases any more,but have built marriontettes for some of our prodcutions, they are chalenging but are a wonderful style to play with, as with all puppets the limitaions only open up new doors for expresion.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Next week...

My son is back in school from Spring Break and I'm not teaching because my kids are on Spring Break... I will make a Marionette...at least the body!

Hold me to it, muppetcentral. That's your new job.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I'm venturing into it right now, I'm almost done making a marionette and learning how to perform with them, it's exciting.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
out of what are you making it?

I'm toying with the ideas of either paperclay or cloth. If I do it next week, it will likely be cloth.

Melonpool

Reaction score
If you have the Henson release of "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas", there's a documentary on the challenges the builders faced in converting rod and glove style puppets to marionettes. One of the things I remember was that traditional Henson-style puppets are as light as possible and the marionettes have to have some weight to the bodies and the limbs to allow for better movement. There's also a book called "Marionettes" by Helen Fling that might be useful as far as stringing and construction.

I've never built a marionette, but I've thought a lot about it over the years.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Our puppet theater has an amazingly extensive library that has hundreds of books...probably about 1/3 are on marionettes, so I've been looking at those for awhile. Joints are the things I'm wondering how I'll do...

muppetfan89

Reaction score
out of what are you making it?

I'm toying with the ideas of either paperclay or cloth. If I do it next week, it will likely be cloth.
Well, I'm taking a marionette lesson in my town, so I'm learning how to build and operate them in the process. This is what I've been doing. I made mine out of paper mache. I made shapes for the head, body, legs and arms out of newspaper kept their shape with masking tapes. Then I covered each piece with strips of newspaper dipped in paper mache. Today, I painted each piece with guesso. Next, I have to paint and assemble it.

it's a very simple way of making marionettes, but it's effective. I also made a bigger head to try to make mechnisms for the eyes and mouth.