Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chequepoint

Reaction score
MR never said that they where exactly like the replicas, and we all know that if you use materials that will decay over time, it would be a waste of money. All I can say is that we should all wait and see what comes of Gonzo next year. The only way we would get exact replicas is if we had Terry make them and I don't think he wants to make 1500+ replicas. Or we would need a whole bunch of professional puppet makers to get it right. To me, it is not the material, but the likeness of the character. I want to see him and say "that's Gonzo!".
Replica - From webster.com
Etymology: Italian, repetition, from replicare to repeat, from Late Latin, from Latin, to fold back — more at reply
Date:
1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist <a replica of this was painted…this year — Constance Strachey>
2: a copy exact in all details <DNA makes a replica of itself> <sailed a replica of the Viking ship>;

The word exact is implied with the word replica. Otherwise it's just a poor copy. They called them photo puppet replicas. They named their company Master Replicas. It is well within the bounds of fair to hold them to that, and complain when they decide to make a toy instead. All materials decay over time. This concept that Scott foam will fall to pieces over a short time is a myth that you often repeat as fact with no personal knowledge, when we have multiple examples of people that actually own puppets far exceeding that time in great condition when cared for properly.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I don't make puppets, but people on here who have talked about their own creations explainthe time, effort and cost of making such a replica. Master Replicas make their replicas as accurate as possible and at a fraction of the cost of a hand crafted replica by a Muppet craftsperson.

chequepoint

Reaction score
In anything, quantity is the key. To make one of something, is time consuming and expensive. To make 100 of something is drastically less expensive per unit, etc. I'm sure the bulk of the cost is involved in Terry's development (and well worth it), not materials or labor. The price of everything decreases in quantity.

I don't make puppets, but people on here who have talked about their own creations explainthe time, effort and cost of making such a replica. Master Replicas make their replicas as accurate as possible and at a fraction of the cost of a hand crafted replica by a Muppet craftsperson.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
In anything, quantity is the key. To make one of something, is time consuming and expensive. To make 100 of something is drastically less expensive per unit, etc. I'm sure the bulk of the cost is involved in Terry's development (and well worth it), not materials or labor. The price of everything decreases in quantity.
But you are comparing two different ways of creating the same thing. Terry Angus, master puppetmaker, making one replica takes time and effort. The same standards could only be upheld if Terry made each replica himself which would cost a lot of money, take lots of time and give poor Terry a headache. The only cost effective way of reproducing Terry's work is to send it to a factory to be replicated by people who do not make Muppets or high quality puppets for a living. The final results cannot be expected to be as good as the original prototype surely.

Luke

Reaction score
The only cost effective way of reproducing Terry's work is to send it to a factory to be replicated by people who do not make Muppets or high quality puppets for a living. The final results cannot be expected to be as good as the original prototype surely.
They could at least be using the right materials. You might not get an exact copy at the factory but while building an individual puppet using professional materials may cost a thousand or two replicate that design by 2000 and i would guess the costs would fall dramatically. I agree with Chequepoint about the excuse used that these things would fall apart using proper foam - puppeteers can get about 5 years out of some puppets kept carefully and in use, probably longer if kept in display conditions. There is no guarantee these Master Replicas products will last a great deal longer - most store bought plush isn't 100% after ten years or less. It's just excuses to cut costs and use cheaper materials, whats the point in them unless they are accurate.

chequepoint

Reaction score
I'm not talking about that. Manufacturing variances are fine and acceptable. Giant deviations from Terrys work are not. Terry is great. Kermit is great. Animal appears to be great. The craftsmanship of the people making these is not even in question as far as I'm concerned. If Terry handmade each one, there would be variation. This is all about a poor design decision by MR or Disney or whoever is letting this happen.

If I had my guess (Now I don't stalk and harass MR employees so it's truly just a guess.), the only way to do Gonzo's nose out of Scott foam is to carve it out of a block. There is no way to generate a pattern, and short of some kind of multi axis CNC laser operation, they would be relying strictly upon the craftsman's ability to reproduce that piece by hand. I don't have a problem with that, as every single gonzo puppet made has had a significantly different nose. BUT there are people who will return theirs and exchange repeatedly in an effort to get the "perfect" nose. I think that is the real reason they don't want to do scott foam. The "it will blow away in the wind after a year" is just an easy out, until you realize that they're already using foam on Animal... Its just flat pieces that can be easily cut from a pattern.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
What's the point of any Muppet plush, toy or piece of memorabilia? Purely for people to have and enjoy. Sure there are things that aren't exact but tell me what you have ever bought that HAS been perfect? DVDs and CDs are great quality but not a patch on the original 35mm or 16track recordings. These replicas, despite their flaws, are still pretty impressive pieces of work.

Telly

Reaction score
I don't see the point of this arguement. I don't see a reason to argue until you see it in person. Plus nobody's going to "win" cuz everyone has different wants. Some want an EXACT copy. Some are happy with an accurate enough likeness of him.
I personally know nothing of scott foam. From my understanding, it last longer if it's kept out of the sunlight and in a glass case. For me personally, I want to keep my Gonzo out in the open. I want to be able to play around with him whenever.
I still think they should set something up when people pre-order/order him on which one you want. The thing with that is IF the foam starts to crumble...will those that ordered that version complain? The way I see it, MR loses either way. :grouchy:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I don't see the point of this arguement. I don't see a reason to argue until you see it in person. Plus nobody's going to "win" cuz everyone has different wants. Some want an EXACT copy. Some are happy with an accurate enough likeness of him.
I personally know nothing of scott foam. From my understanding, it last longer if it's kept out of the sunlight and in a glass case. For me personally, I want to keep my Gonzo out in the open. I want to be able to play around with him whenever.
I still think they should set something up when people pre-order/order him on which one you want. The thing with that is IF the foam starts to crumble...will those that ordered that version complain? The way I see it, MR loses either way. :grouchy:

You are so right my friend! :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just a personal vote of materials

If it comes down to using some sort of stocking-covered nose or molding a light weight plasic shnoz - I pick plastic.

There's no way they can use the same materials as the puppets or even the official posers and expect them to last more than a couple years.

That's the hard fact. The solution is what will determine the quality of the final product. Plastic can be molded to include texture and nuance that would be lost in using a stocking-covered nose. That's just an inherent reality of the material. Painting, airbrushing and subtle layer-shading, if attempted, would better work with a plastic textured mold as well.

So plastic gets my vote over a nose sock. My main concerns - are they listening and is there time? I'm prepared to wait for a better-looking Gonzo. Heck, bump him after Fozzie if needed. These are really more observations and options rather than criticisms. After seeing Kermit and the new Animal pictures I have faith in Master Replicas.

Status
Not open for further replies.