MCC: What would you have changed?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Definitely at least one sesame street Muppet cameo personally I think Grover would have worked well as a lot roles.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Definitely at least one sesame street Muppet cameo personally I think Grover would have worked well as a lot roles.
The more I watch that movie... you are absolutely right. Grover is not there! What a shame!

rexcrk

Reaction score
I can't really think of anything I'd change. I really just love the movie the way it is. I mean, yeah, it'd be great if characters like Rowlf and Scooter had bigger parts (or parts at all) or if they Electric Mayhem had speaking parts, but given the circumstances (Jim and Richard's passing), I think Brian Henson and Co. did a spectacular job, that must've been such a daunting task.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I'm on deck with two observations made repeatedly in this thread - that MCC could have used more Muppet characters in the main roles (including the ghosts) and the basic observation that it should have been "much more Muppety." I know the creative team was trying to stay close to Dickens' original story but the result left me somewhat cold when I saw it in theatres in 1992.

Knowing that it was too soon to recast a lot of Jim's and Richard's characters, I still submit that other Muppet faces could have filled in several of these roles. For example, I think Jerry Nelson's Pops would have worked better as Jacob Marley than the Statler-and-Waldorf brother act (which would have also saved us from a song that still makes me cringe years later).

Glad to see heralde and Drtooth reference Mickey's Christmas Carol in this thread. I think that featurette made much better use of its stable of characters than MCC did with the Muppets/Henson cast (realizing, of course, the difficulty in meting out these roles so soon after Jim and Richard left us). I mean, if a one-dimensional buffoon like Peg-Leg Pete could do a convincing Ghost of Christmas Future, surely there was a Muppet that could command the same gravitas. (I'm looking at you, Uncle Deadly.)

Anyway, I don't want to be too hard on Brian Henson and the early-'90s Muppet crew for a sincere, honest effort. I have teenage nieces who were introduced to the Muppets through MCC and still cite it as a holiday favourite. If the movie accomplished nothing other than that, I would still be grateful - and, of course, it accomplished so much more, and continues to do so to this day.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
The changes? Hmmmm! Change is good, but... let's see.

If Jim Henson and Richard Hunt were still around in 1992... oh now I know what's missing. Fraggles! They might be background characters, but they should have the singing parts from the "Scrooge" number.
Well at least we got Mc Mooch,Brool,Murray,Sprocket, and Mudwell.