MFS-disappointment!

HPDJ

Reaction score
Was anyone else disappointed by Muppets from Space. When I left the theatre I was heart-broken! :smile: It didn't feel like a Muppet movie, no singing, no dancing, not much fun! It was shoddy compared to classics like GMC. Annnouncing that :concern: was an alien was just a downright terrible error. Did Jim Henson always plan to reveal that, or was it something the writers made up when the script was being written. I bet Jim is spinning in his grave!

Beauregard

Reaction score
HP, you do indeed present a very interesting questian here. Did Jim always plan to reveal that Gonzo the Great, (you can just call me Great), was an alien? This, I highly doubt. But I have no way of saying as I have not studied teh subject of MFS very deeply.

Perhaps there are memebers who would know this? Secret Squirrel? Someone with inside knowledge...?

More to the point, did JERRY JUHL have this concept as part of his original script of the movie, which we know as conciderably different. Since Jerry is the Muppets, he conceived their charcters, and wrote who they were, etc...Was it his choice?

And what about Dave G? Did he just shrug and say, "I always knew Gonzo was keeping something from me,"? Or did Dave know all along that his Puppet was an alien?

I'd be interested in knowing, or hearing people's thoughts on this subject.

Bea:zany:{La, de, da! Ping! Smells like puding}regard

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Beau brings up an interesting point. Would Dave Goelz have gone along with the project if he didn't believe in it? It would be natural for him to not want to give up his most well-known character to someone else. So even if he didn't like the idea of Gonzo's "origin", I'm betting he was willing to stick with the movie just to keep Gonzo out of someone else's hands. But, if he did like the idea, then everything is kosher and all Muppet fans can relax and know that everything is as it should be.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I've always been surprised how many people didn't like MFS, I thought iy was fun, but you're right; I really missed the singing.

Another thing recent Muppet movies seem to be lacking lately is the horribly corny running gag, right?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Here's an article I wrote about the history of Gonzo (as I found in research) and why I support either the alien/whatever status of the being of he who is known as Gonzo! :smile:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=15965

BTW: I loved MFS..but I did miss the original songs. Where's Paul Williams when we need him?!

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I think man questions are best left unanswered - but what Gonzo was wasn't even a question: he was simply a whatever you found and equally odd-ball group of friends who did not hesitate to accept him.

For what he is, he is arguably remarkably normal.

I don't know how Dave Golez felt about revealing what Gonzo was or how he felt about the film without songs when Gonzo as enjoyed good musical numbers in the past; but I expect that he jumped at the chance to develope Gonzo much further than he ever could with previous Muppet movies or the Muppet Show.

We don't often see Muppets feeling sad and lonely before finding a family and eventually realising they had had one all along. This is what gives Gonzo, and the other Muppets, meaning.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Plus, with all that emotion, it gives them more personality and realism.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I could have cared less if Gonzo was an alien or not. That's great he's an alien. At least we know know what he is now instead of just a whatever.

However, Gonzo wasn't acting like himself. He just wasn't crazy and weird enough in the movie like he was in the previous movies.

ryan

That Announcer

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
I don't know how Dave Golez felt about revealing what Gonzo was or how he felt about the film without songs when Gonzo as enjoyed good musical numbers in the past.
Dave actually wanted to use the re-recording of "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday" in the film, but from what I understand, Tim Hill vetoed it.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
However, Gonzo wasn't acting like himself. He just wasn't crazy and weird enough in the movie like he was in the previous movies.
THE COSMIC FISH HAVE SPOKEN TO ME! I'M FROM OUTER SPAAAACE!!!!! :concern:

Sounds like Gonzo to me. I love MFS, even without the singing. I don't think it matters what he is. And since they don't really say, he's still a "whatever". :big_grin: