Michael Jeter Died

muppet_dk

Reaction score
I just found this. I don't know much about sesame street but it seems he has been part of it at some time as Mr. Noodle's brother

Michael Jeter, the Emmy- and Tony-winning character actor who costars in the upcoming, Hanks-produced adaptation of the children's classic, died over the weekend at his Hollywood Hills home, his publicity firm announced Monday. He was 50.

Read more at http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/eo/20030401/en_celeb_eo/11540&e=2
& at http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=118886

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have not much to say, but I greive his loss and share the sympathy with his family...

Are there any E-mail addresses you can send your sympathy to?

radionate

Reaction score
Don't know of any email addresses yet, but if I find one I'll post it.

He was a wonderful actor, which may surprise many of the folks that only know him here from playing Mr. Noodle. He was from this neck of the woods, and I am amazed by his body of work that I've seen.

I heard the news this morning on the Today show. I was glad to know he went in his sleep, and that it was natural causes, and that despite his illness he was active and healty up to the end.

Tony Winner Michael Jeter Dead at 50
from broadway.com

Michael Jeter, the Tony and Emmy-winning actor best known to theater audiences for his unforgettable work in the 1989 Broadway musical Grand Hotel, died over the weekend at the age of 50. Although Jeter was very public about his HIV-positive status, according to the Associated Press, his publicist reported he had been in good health and seemed to have died of natural causes. His body was found in his Hollywood Hills, California home on Sunday.

Jeter grew up in Lawrenceberg, Tennessee, and attended Memphis State University, where he studied acting. Jeter began his professional acting career in New York City in the late 1970s, when he made his motion picture debut in Hair and won a Theatre World Award in 1979 for his first Broadway show, G.R. Point. His credits off-Broadway include El Bravo!, The Boys Next Door, Alice in Concert, Greater Tuna and Cloud 9.

But it was Grand Hotel that made Jeter a Broadway star. In the Tommy Tune musical, he played Otto Kringelein, a dying bookkeeper who spends his life savings on a visit at the finest hotel in Berlin. For his work in the show, Jeter was the darling of award season, winning the 1990 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical, as well as the Outer Critics Circle Award and a Drama Desk Award.

After Grand Hotel, Jeter landed a role in the Burt Reynolds television series Evening Shade, which ran from 1990 to 1994. Jeter was nominated for Emmy Awards three times during the run of the show, winning the trophy in 1992. He is also known for his television work as Mr. Noodle on the PBS children's show Sesame Street and for his work in the small screen musicals Gypsy (playing Mr. Goldstone opposite Bette Midler) and Mrs. Santa Claus.

On the big screen, Jeter appeared in the films Hair, Ragtime, Zelig, The Fisher King (Memorably belting out "Everything's Coming Up Roses" in drag), Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit, Air Bud, Mouse Hunt, Patch Adams, Jakob the Liar, The Green Mile, The Gift, Jurassic Park III and last year's Welcome to Collinwood. At the time of his death, he was working on the upcoming film The Polar Express. His production spokesperson told the AP that he had completed enough of his work on the film to remain in the finished product.

Jeter is survived by his companion, Sean Blue; his parents, Dr. William and Virginia Jeter; a brother and four sisters.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I read about this on Yahoo news this morning. The name didn't ring a bell until I saw his picture, and immediately I recognized him as the "Frogman" from Picket Fences. I was surprised; I didn't even know that he'd been sick.

It makes me wonder what Sesame Street is going to do. Is there going to be a second Mr. Noodle to take Mr. Jeeter's place, or are they just going to rerun bits that they've already done with Mr. Noodle that are relevant to the "Elmo's World" sketch of the day?

-Kim

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I don't know what Sesame Street will do, but Michael Jeter was the second Other Mr. Noodle. I think it is possible they would recast again.

I get the impression he wasn't sick. Sounds like he was HIV+ but healthy. They are doing an autopsy to determine cause of deaht-- that isn't generally necessary if someone dies from a known illness.

Very sad. He was a great actor-- loved him in Fisher King.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
I get the impression he wasn't sick. Sounds like he was HIV+ but healthy. They are doing an autopsy to determine cause of deaht-- that isn't generally necessary if someone dies from a known illness.
He wasn't. They are saying it was natural causes. I guess time will tell, if the papers find it worthy to print. They've barely meantioned his passing today in some of the online trades.

dcfboss

Reaction score
if they recast they'll probably make a whole new character. like elmo would go "oh look it's mr noodle's cousin mr noodle" i don't know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll try hard not to make a joke, as this is a solomn post...

Anyway, maybe we should see more of Mr. Noodle's Sister, Miss Noodle (as seen in the Elmo's world Happy holidays video)

I hope they can adress this to the children, saying he has passed on (or at least aknowledge the fact he died in a memorandum) instead of just covering it up....

Manda:-D

Reaction score
That's so sad....I LOVED that actor...He seemed like such such a sweet man....I didn't even know he was HIV+.....We'll miss you, Mr. Noodle. (Among the many other wonderful roles I remember him performing....)