Minor Muppetz' TMS outline: Joe Flaherty

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This outline takes place in the fifth season.

Cold Opening/ Lobby
Pops tells Joe Flaherty that Joe is one of his favorite actors, but then realizes that he does not play dr. Johnny Fever on WKRP In Cincinatti.

Introduction
Kermit hopes that the viewers like this show more today than yesterday.

Opening Number: More Today Than Yesterday
Floyd leads the Electric Mayhem in the opening number.

balcony
Statler: (singing) I hate you more today than yesterday...
(waldorf then punches Statler in the face)
Waldorf: Take That!

backstage
Joe Flaherty, dressed as Count Floyd, confronts Floyd backstage.

Introduction
Kermit says that Count Floyd does more than just introduce horrible horror movies.

Sketch
Uncle deadley has hired Count Floyd as an operator, who keeps getting prank calls, so he quits.

balcony
Statler thinks that act was really scary... he'd never seen a vampire use the telephone on the show before!

backstage
Count Floyd meets the members of his fan club (luncheon counter monster, dark green hunchback frackle, pink frackle, boppity, and green hunchback frackle).

Lobby
Pops rides around in a wheelchair. When Sweetums asks why, Pops says that he is in a wheel chair for respect. Pops also tries to figure out what television show he is on ("could he be Lucy on Heres Lucy? Or Klinger on M*A*S*H? Or Bob on Sesame Street?").

Rat dance
Rizzo and five other rats do a special rat dance.

Lobby
Pops cries over his broken wheel chair, and over the fact that he can't figure out who Joe Flaherty plays.

U.K. Spot: Still Crazy After All These Years
Gonzo, Marvin Suggs and Crazy Harry harmonize.

U.K. Spot/ Balcony
Statler: we're still crazy after all these years, too!
Waldorf: we are?
Statler: of course. We keep coming here.
(thye laugh)

Veterinarians Hospital
A baked potatoe (a real one, not a muppet) is the patient. Dr. Bob decides to go on his lunchbreak. Nurse janice points out that he just had lunch five minutes ago, so Dr. Bob has an early dinner.

Backstage
Kermit notices that Pops is upset over not knowing what show Joe Flaherty is rom. Kermit tries to tell him that Joe is from SCTV, but Pops is too upset to listen. Pops decides to ask Joe himself, and heads toward Joes dressing room, even though Joe is on stage.

Sketch
The newsman decides to read a story about war. Joe Flaherty plays a prision guard while Sweetums, Thog and Doglion play prisioners. Beauregard is Joes assistant, who cleans too much. The prisioners try to bribe Joe, but he won't take their bribes. beauregard opens the prision door so he can clean, and the prisioners escape and push Joe into the prision cell (and locks it).

Lobby
Pops reads a newspaper article about SCTV, and wonders if that is the show that Joe Flaherty is part of. Pops' response? "nahhh...".

Introduction
kermit introduces the closing number.

Closing Number: Must have Been A beautiful baby
Joe Flaherty portrays Bing Cosby and sings while being joined by Bobby bensons babies. He takes one of the babies and dribbles it like a basket ball (and Thog eventually joins him).

Backstage
Crazy harry says to himself that the closing number was dynamite, then asks if somebody said dynamite, and then realizes that he was the one who said dynamite, and blows himself up.

Good Night
Pops has just figured out what show Joe Flaherty is on: The Muppet Show, and thinks that Joe plays kermit The frog, Pops, Scooter, Miss Piggy, Lew zeland, and Gonzo (and those characters show up when he says their names).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Performers

In case you are wondering about who some of the characters would be performed by....

Luncheon Counter Monster is performed by frank Oz.
Boppity is performed by Dave Goelz.
Green Hunchback frackle is performed by Jim henson.
Dark Green Hunchback frackle is performed by Richard Hunt.
Pink Frackle is performed by Jerry Nelson.
The rats who join rizzo in the rat dance are performed by Jim, Frank, Jerry, Dave, and Richard.
Only four of the babies speak, and their voices are provided by Kathy Mullen, Louise Gold, Dave Goelz, and Steve Whitmire.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In case you are wondering about who some of the characters would be performed by....
Only Phillip Kippel asks that :smile:

Could you explain the wheelchair bit? Is he doing two things at once, trying to figure out what show Joe Flaherty is on, while using the wheelchair to get some respect?

"Still Crazy After All These Years" is a perfect song for TMS. Dribbling a baby like a basketball- hoo boy! And the war sketch- very Muppety indeed!

RE: the Newsman war story: is he not doing the news b/c things always happen to him, and he thinks reading a story is safer? If this is the case, you should have the monsters trample him at the end of his story, just to underscore his involvement in the sketch, prove him wrong, and use the standard punchline to bookend the segment (so that it starts with the Newsman and ends with the Newsman.)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
David, I think Minor Muppets does that in preparation for Philip Kipple. *big grin*
Minor, that was wonderful as usual; I just have one question. Why was Pop's wheelchair broken at one point during the show? Oh, and was the chair ment to gain some respect for him? That was just a little unclear from the way it was written.
Happy writing,
Kate

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Only Phillip Kippel asks that :smile:
I include information about certain performers just in case he (or anybody else) wonders. And also as an excuse to keep some outlines on page 1 for people to comment on. :stick_out_tongue:

Gorgon Heap said:
Could you explain the wheelchair bit? Is he doing two things at once, trying to figure out what show Joe Flaherty is on, while using the wheelchair to get some respect?
yes, he is doing two things at once. For those who don't get the refference, one of Joe Flahertys main characters on SCTV was station owner Guy Cabellaro, who rode in a wheel chair just for respect. Pops is doing this and trying to figure out what show he was on, not realizing that he was refferencing one of Joes characters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
RE: the Newsman war story: is he not doing the news b/c things always happen to him, and he thinks reading a story is safer? If this is the case, you should have the monsters trample him at the end of his story, just to underscore his involvement in the sketch, prove him wrong, and use the standard punchline to bookend the segment (so that it starts with the Newsman and ends with the Newsman.)
I just wanted to include a storyteller for that sketch, and thought that The newsman fit the role of storyteller perfectly. Also, In my outlines I often like to use characters in ways that weren't common as much as possible, and The newsman rarely appeared outside of Muppet News. It could have been read by anybody. Sam The Eagle could have narrarated, and been disgusted with the results, or Rowlf, Scooter, or Annie Sue could have read it.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
What do you think about the idea of having the monsters trample the Newsman at the end of the sketch? Could make a good double-punchline (being that first they escape and catch their captor, and second that they trample the narrator while running to wherever they're escaping to).

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
What do you think about the idea of having the monsters trample the Newsman at the end of the sketch?
Yes, I like that idea also.

:cool:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
It sounds like a good idea to me too. I can imagine that happening easily. The Newsman just seems to draw bad luck like a magnet.

And I love Crazy Harry blowing himself up because he himself said Dynamite:crazy: