Misconceptions about your age

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And Mrs. is pronounced like "Misses" right? Sorry if I sound stupid. :stick_out_tongue:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Even Mrs. though some people still just say "Miss" I know I do it sometimes to people who I know are married. That would the crappy English I speak sometimes though. Lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I believe that Ms. is pronounced "Miz" and "Miss" is pronounced the way it's spelled, like you said. "Miss" refers to an unmarried woman, and I think that "Ms." can be both an unmarried woman or a married woman.
The way I remember being taught (and Language Art/English was one of my best subjects)...

"Miss" refered to a woman who had never been married before.
"Mrs." refered to a woman who is presently married.
"Ms." refered to a woman who was married before, but is no longer (divorcee, widow, etc.)

Hubert

Reaction score
The way I remember being taught (and Language Art/English was one of my best subjects)...

"Miss" refered to a woman who had never been married before.
"Mrs." refered to a woman who is presently married.
"Ms." refered to a woman who was married before, but is no longer (divorcee, widow, etc.)
Huh...that's pretty interesting...I wonder if there may not be an official case to use "Ms.", and people just use it in any case as they please? Or there is an official way and they don't know about it?

I'm not stating you're wrong, just speculating that maybe there is multiple meanings or no meaning...

Slackbot

Reaction score
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ms?s=t

Ms. plural Mses.

1. a title of respect prefixed to a woman's name or position: unlike Miss or Mrs., it does not depend upon or indicate her marital status.

Usage note
Ms. came into use in the 1950s as a title before a woman's surname when her marital status was unknown or irrelevant. In the early 1970s, the use of Ms. was adopted and encouraged by the women's movement, the reasoning being that since a man's marital status is not revealed by the title Mr., there is no reason that a woman's status should be revealed by her title. Since then Ms. has gained increasing currency, especially in business and professional use.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
No, but "Mrs" is an abbreviation for "master's". As in property. As in a title which, even were I married again, I would never ever allow.

-------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No, but "Mrs" is an abbreviation for "master's". As in property. As in a title which, even were I married again, I would never ever allow.
People don't realize the darker history behind much of these things. I'm never changing my name; the thought frankly terrifies me, lol.