Missing Artwork

muppetperson

Reaction score
Just got Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles the other day, and when I was going through it, I was thinking that there are a lot of Muppet concept characters that arent in it, like Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo,etc.Maybe Jim didnt do sketches of those characters, but the book didnt include sketches that Jim did do, such as the Swedish Chef, Animal and Sam the Eagle, which can be seen in "Of Muppets And Men", where I see Michael Frith did artwork for Beauregard, Lips, and Dr Teeth(different version to jim's),Floyd and a pre Janice.Bonnie Erickson did a sketch for Statler and Waldorf.Wouldnt it be great if ALL the concept artwork could be found from the various people involved and put into one book!:smile: :mad: :embarrassed:

peyjenk

Reaction score
Of course, I don't know when that book was published, but could the sketches of recognizable Muppet characters be missing because Disney owns the rights to them now?

muppetperson

Reaction score
The book was created in 2001 with the Jim Henson company and the book I have is a 2004 edition, the year Disney bought The Muppets.It isnt a case of Disney censorship because Beaker, Kermit, Rowlf, Sweetums, Dr Teeth and Thog are in it.But I have never seen the original artwork plans for Miss Piggy(apart from dress designs),Fozzie or Gonzo in any muppet book.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I think the book only includes characters that were ultimately created by Jim. I know Gonzo was Dave Goelz's modification of an early design for the Great Santa Claus Switch. Fozzie was designed and created by Faz Fazakas and Miss Piggy evolved, thanks to Frank Oz, from a generic pig puppet.