Missing Jogger's Body Found on Sesame Street Actor's Land

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Tuesday, December 13, 2005

WOODSTOCK, Conn. — A 36-year-old man was charged with kidnapping Tuesday night in connection with the death of a woman whose body was found on property owned by the performer who plays Big Bird on the children's television show "Sesame Street," state police said.

Caroll Spinney, who also plays Oscar the Grouch on the show, had no involvement in the woman's death, said Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman.

The suspect, Scott Deojay, was being held on $1 million bond and was to be arraigned Wednesday. Vance would not say how Deojay, of Plainfield, knew the victim, 44-year-old Judith Nilan.

Nilan's body was found in a storage building Tuesday morning on Spinney's property, which straddles the Massachusetts-Connecticut line, after a search by state police, tracking dogs, volunteers and a helicopter. Police said her death was a homicide.

Nilan was reported missing Monday night by her husband, who said she went jogging and never returned.

Woodstock First Selectwoman Delpha Mae Very said Spinney's property is a very large tract of remote wooded land.

A message seeking comment was left at Spinney's home.

According to his Web site, Spinney has performed as Big Bird since the first episode of Sesame Street in 1969. He also co-wrote a book called "The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch)."

Woodstock, home to about 8,000 people, is about 40 miles northeast of Hartford.

Source: Fox News.com

Edit: Didn't see this had already been posted, anyways, there's the story.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
That scarf still has yet to be delivered. Maybe if I could wear it I could appreciate the work put into it. :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
An update:

Caretaker pleads guilty in death of Woodstock jogger

December 21, 2006

DANIELSON, Conn. --A man pleaded guilty Thursday to killing a jogger and hiding her body on property in Woodstock owned by the performer who plays Big Bird on "Sesame Street."

Scott Deojay, 37, of Plainfield pleaded guilty to capital felony under the Alford Doctrine, which means he does not admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence to convict him, The Day of New London and Norwich Bulletin reported on their Web sites.

Judith Nilan, 44, was jogging in Woodstock last year when Deojay hit her with his vehicle.

The state's attorney will recommend he be sentenced to life in prison without parole but will not seek the death penalty. Sentencing is scheduled for March 9.

Deojay had been charged with first-degree kidnapping, murder, felony murder and capital felony in connection with Nilan's death.

He also pleaded guilty under the Alford doctrine Thursday to first-degree aggravated sexual assault in the unrelated June 2004 rape of a Plainfield woman. He was linked to that unsolved crime after he was arrested for Nilan's death.

Nilan disappeared while jogging near her Woodstock home on Dec. 12. State police say Deojay hit Nilan with his car and hid her body on Caroll Spinney's property near the Massachusetts state line.

Spinney, who plays Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on the popular children's television show, was not home at the time, and police say he had nothing to do with Nilan's death. Deojay was a caretaker for Spinney.

State police found Nilan's body in a storage building on the property. They said her hands and ankles were tied and her running pants were down to her knees. Court documents say Deojay's semen was found on her body.

Deojay told police that he struck Nilan with his car by accident and hid her body in a panic.

Windham County State's Attorney Patricia Froehlich called Deojay's story "absolutely unbelievable," since an autopsy revealed Nilan's injuries were consistent with a beating and strangling.

"It is clear Judy did not die there on the side of the road," Froehlich said.

Nilan's husband and six siblings attended the hearing Thursday and said they found little comfort in the sentence.

"To me, Judy was Saint Judy. This world could use more people like her," said Nilan's brother, Chris Rivers. "At this point, there's no punishment that would satisfy me. To me, he's a perfect candidate for the death penalty. I will never forgive him and, if he died tomorrow, I would throw a party."