Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
"For heaven's sake, Queequeg, get up and shake yourself; get up and have some supper. You'll starve; you'll kill yourself, Queequeg."

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Despairing of him, therefore, I determined to go to bed and to sleep; and no doubt, before a great while, he would follow me.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But previous to turning in, I took my heavy bearskin jacket, and threw it over him, as it promised to be a very cold night; and he had nothing but his ordinary round jacket on.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For some time, do all I would, I could not get into the faintest doze.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I had blown out the candle; and the mere thought of Queequeg -- not four feet off -- sitting there in that uneasy position, stark alone in the cold and dark; this made me feel really wretched.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Think of it; sleeping all night in the same room with a wide-awake pagan on his hams in this dreary, unaccountable Ramadan!

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But somehow I dropped off at last, and knew nothing more till break of day; when, looking over the bedside, there squatted Queequeg, as if he had been screwed down to the floor.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But as soon as the first glimpse of sun entered the window, up he got, with stiff and grating joints, but with a cheerful look; limped towards me where I lay; pressed his forehead again against mine; and said his Ramadan was over.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now, as I before hinted, I have no objection to any person's religion, be it what it may, so long as that person does not kill or insult any other person, because that other person don't believe it also.