Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Let them talk of their oriental summer climes of everlasting conservatories; give me the privilege of making my own summer with my own coals.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Can he warm his blue hands by holding them up to the grand northern lights?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Would he not far rather lay him down lengthwise along the line of the equator; yea, ye gods! go down to the fiery pit itself, in order to keep out this frost?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now, that Lazarus should lie stranded there on the curbstone before the door of Dives, this is more wonderful than that an iceberg should be moored to one of the Moluccas.*

*Also called the Spice Islands; in the Malay Archipelago.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Yet Dives himself, he too lives like a Czar in an ice palace made of frozen sighs, and being a president of a temperance society, he only drinks the tepid tears of orphans.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But no more of this blubbering now, we are going a-whaling, and there is plenty of that yet to come.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Let us scrape the ice from our frosted feet, and see what sort of place this "Spouter" may be.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
CHAPTER III.
The Spouter-Inn.

Entering that gable-ended Spouter-Inn, you found yourself in a wide, low, straggling entry with old-fashioned wainscots, reminding one of the bulwarks of some condemned old craft.