Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Instantly I felt a shock running through all my frame; nothing was to be seen, and nothing was to be heard; but a supernatural hand seemed placed in mine.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
My arm hung over the counterpane, and the nameless, unimaginable, silent form or phantom, to which the hand belonged, seemed closely seated by my bedside.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For what seemed ages piled on ages, I lay there, frozen with the most awful fears, not daring to drag away my hand; yet ever thinking that if I could but stir it one single inch, the horrid spell would be broken.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I knew not how this consciousness at last glided away from me; but waking in the morning, I shudderingly remembered it all, and for days and weeks and months afterwards I lost myself in confounding attempts to explain the mystery.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Now, take away the awful fear, and my sensations at feeling the supernatural hand in mine were very similar, in their strangeness, to those which I experienced on waking up and seeing Queequeg's pagan arm thrown round me.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But at length all the past night's events soberly recurred, one by one, in fixed reality, and then I lay only alive to the comical predicament.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For though I tried to move his arm -- unlock his bridegroom clasp -- yet, sleeping as he was, he still hugged me tightly, as though naught but death should part us twain.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I now strove to rouse him -- "Queequeg!" -- but his only answer was a snore.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I then rolled over, my neck feeling as if it were in a horse-collar; and suddenly felt a slight scratch.