monitors

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
can any one point in the right direction on where i can get some monitors

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Best Buy maybe? Circuit City perhaps? Some place that handles a lot of electronics need is all I know to tell... I actually don't because for me the monitors have always been provided.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Years ago, I tried to get a monitor at Circuit City because the ones they have hooked up to their video cameras seem about the perfect size to me. I was told that they don;t sell that kind, however to consumers.

I currently use a 5-inch black and white TV I got at Albertsons (a grocery store or a drugstore may have these as well) at Christmastime. It was under $20 and as long as it has an input for video game consoles, you can hook it right up to a camera.

The drawbacks: The edges aren't specific, so you have to be prepared for some things that seem cut off on the monitor being visible in the uncropped frame. Also, I've been noticing as the TVs get older, they've developed a "buzzing." They're good for practice and lipsynching to records -- anything that doesn't require you to be mic'd.

Someone on here suggested using one of those portable LCD DVD players. They cost about $100, have inputs, are in color and come with rechargeable batteries. I may be investing in a couple of those soon.

Steve

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If the monitors don't have to be portable and a 4:3 aspect ratio (standard TV screen, instead of widescreen) is OK I highly recommend Commodore Amiga or Commodore 64 monitors if you can track them down. Typically they cost $20 or less, are full colour, take standard video input and are surprisingly durable. I've used them for years.

I like the portable little LCD screens (although I don't own one) but the drawback of them as a portable monitor - especially outdoors - is that they can usually only be viewed properly from specific angles which can be problematic.

wes

Reaction score
what are type of situation are you useing them in?

MGov

Reaction score
Check with local TV stations, find out what they do with their used monitors. Try post-production companies in the area (or not in the area). And I just found five on eBay.

spcglider

Reaction score
Look up "video production" or "film production" in the yellow pages. Most large cities will have at least one supply house servicing the local TV stations and film communities.

-G