Monster Piece Theatre

Klonoa

Reaction score
I liked "Me, Claudius" and "12 Angry Men." Or was it ten?

--Klonoa

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
One I thought was funny and clever was...
Mel Gibson dressed in his sort of casual clothes and jacket, and Danny Glover dressed in his good suit starring in Lethal Weapon 3.
And then they get out of the way of a giant 3 that drops from the sky.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
By the way, wasn't there an MPT sketch with Richard's Elmo? I thought I read about something like that at the jump the shark site, so I'm curious.
That was probably "Me, Claudius", and Richard didn't play Elmo in that (he performed Maurice); Elmo was played by Jerry Nelson.

And to Dantecat:

Judging from the picture, it was probably made around 1976 (since the first season Piggy picture is used), and Jim probably performed Manny. I've never seen the clip before, but Xerus has a better memory of these older clips than I do. :smile:

ceecee

Reaction score
I usually liked Alistare Cookie's bits before and after the featured selection better than the actual clip.

The one that kinda freaked me out though was "The 39 Stairs" (or was it actually called "The 39 Steps"?) It's where Grover is working very hard to get up a set of stairs, counting each one along the way. Then when he gets to the top, it's just a brick wall. Still gives me the creeps.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I liked the spoof of Twin Peaks called "Twin Beaks" which Cookie starred in.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
That was probably "Me, Claudius", and Richard didn't play Elmo in that (he performed Maurice); Elmo was played by Jerry Nelson.
Okay. Thanks for the info. I really don't remember that one at all. I guess they stopped playing that sketch when Kevin started performing Elmo. I do remember a lot of the other Monsterpiece Theater's that were mentioned here though such as "39 Stairs." I've also read the script of "Twin Beaks" at the Lyrics Archive.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another one I haven't heard anyone mention, starring Grover. It's a spoof of the classic novel writen by Ernest Hemmingway, The Old Man and the C (spoofing on The Old Man and the Sea).
Grover appears wearing an old fisherman's hat and white beard inside a boat. He's talking about why he loves the C, and all the while the camera starts panning downwards to show Grover in his boat atop a red letter C.

Xerus

Reaction score
The Count said:
Uh Xerus... who are these two characters you speak of, Manny the Agent and Toothy? Any info will be appreciated. Oh yeah, is Manny the same guy who tried to get a banana a role as a tiger and then a role as a banana after that?
Hope to hear from you soon, and have a good night.
Here's how the skit goes Count.

Manny, a purple muppet with black hair and a mustache (Jim Henson) was trying to help his client. Toothy, a huge set of teeth (Jerry Nelson), who was looking really yucky and grunghy. Manny said he had some beauties outside who could probably help him with his act.

The first beauty was a tan wash cloth who had a Janice like voice (Richard Hunt.) But she didn't work for Toothy. Next was a green hairbrush with eyelashes and red lipstick with a southern woman's voice (Frank Oz.) But she didn't work out either. And finally in came a yellow toothbrush with huge eyes and a small mouth and had a squeaky voice by Richard Hunt. Then a tube of toothpaste named Pasty (From the Here is Your Life Tooth Skit) came in speaking in a Sam the Eagle like voice. (Frank Oz.) Pasted up the toothbrush and made Toothy clean. Toothy and the toothbrush fell in love and started singing a groovy love song.